• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PBC-Wood

cinmur

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
PBC working really well..Do most use wood and charcoal or just the charcoal..
Big Superbowl party Sunday doing wings, mushrooms, & shrimp...was going to add a small amount of apple wood to the PBC charcoal.

I haven't fired mine up yet but plan to over the weekend. I am planning on using a small chunk or two of cherry unless someone tells me that it's not a good idea (and has experience to back it up :-D)

Good question! This has been on my mind. From some of the threads and videos, my impression is no wood. That seems odd to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I haven't fired mine up yet but plan to over the weekend. I am planning on using a small chunk or two of cherry unless someone tells me that it's not a good idea (and has experience to back it up :-D)

Cherry IMO is the most underrated smoking wood. A peice or two will work well. I do the 1:1 rule which is something I came up with. UDS or BBQ vault, they both consume about the same amount of fuel. 1 chunk of hardwood for flavor(pecan or post oak) : 1 chunk of cherry for color for any 1 cook. No more smoke is needed IMO for great tasting home or comp BBQ.

I also add two or three hunks of hickory when I cook on my PBC. Of course I have only 2 cooks on the PBC, but I've been very pleased with the results so far. The chicken had a very mild smoke flavor, not over smokey at all.

Is it feasible to use lump charcoal in the fire basket?
I have no briquets here at home but a lot of lump.
Thoughts?

I used two long chunks of plum for the chicken and turkey breast I cooked. Worked great! Honestly, I don't see why lump wouldn't work.

Is it feasible to use lump charcoal in the fire basket?
I have no briquets here at home but a lot of lump.
Thoughts?

From what I have gathered from other posts, the only difference with the lump is that it may change your cooking temps and time lines a bit. The PBC was designed specificly with the KBB in mind.

So I guess you would just have to play with it to get the temps and times you like.

Yeah, i think lump would work fine, but you will probably have to monitor it a little more. It is less consistent and will probably cause the normal 280 degree lockin to be off a little.

Back