Competition BBQ Addict / Fanatic!!!!

dosvans

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My name is Robert and I am a BBQ Addict/Fanatic.
I’ve been doing the competition BBQ thing now for a year and half (one year on pro side), and there is no doubt in my mind that I am a serious Comp BBQ Addict / Fanatic!! Let you be the judge:
As soon I wake up and before I even get out of bed, I have at least 3-4 thoughts about comp BBQ or BBQ in general. After that, and before I even get ready for work, I go on the computer and look at the BBQ Brethren site (at least the Competition BBQ and QTalk boards), the TVWBB (because I use WSMs), the BBQ Critic site, and the BBQ Competition Circuit page on FB. Now if one of those has a link that interests me, I ‘ll go there too. Depending on how busy I am, I will look at those sites at least 4-5 or more times the rest of the day depending on how busy I am at work. On average, I guess that I look at these sites probably 8-10 times a day. Of course, that doesn’t include a Tuesday when I’m listening to the BBQ Central radio show, or Sundays when I have to watch BBQ Pitmasters. On top of that, I would say that half or more of the conversations that I have with my wife concerns comp BBQ or BBQ in general. I’m just thankful that my wife enjoys doing this, or she would have been sick of hearing it a long time ago. The bottom line here is that not a day goes by that I do not think about Comp BBQ.
So, can any of the Brethren out there relate? How addicted or fanatical are you? Provide examples, because it will make me feel better knowing others out there have the sickness!!
:crazy:

I'm right there with you dosvans. I tend to obsess over my interests though, it used to be golf (was a 1 handicap before I took the job I'm in now). Golf magazines, The Golf Channel, golf tournaments, golf websites, you name it, I was on it or buying it. Now it's BBQ and more specifically Comp BBQ. Instead of golf balls or clubs, I now buy rubs and meat, experimenting at least every other weekend with some subtle change in flavor or style hoping to hit in the next contest.
I feel ya' man.
Jeff

Have to say that for the past 8-9 months I have been the same exact way. I check the site at least 3 times a day, write myself notes on flavor profiles, try every sauce and rub I can. I even have been dreaming about it! I have been so focused on improving my chicken, that in my dream, after we turned in chicken we realized we forgot to cook the other meats!

yep. Ive theoretically bought every kind of smoker made except pellet cookers. but ill admit Ive taken a couple looks at the FEC 100 vs 120.

stick a fork in me. Im done......

Ive pretty much decided I want a insulated vertical that I can cook 100 racks of ribs in (yet Ive never encountered a situation that needed more than 2 wsm's worth of food)

When I started storyboarding fnbish's pitmasters demo video in my mind while I was eating with my wife, I knew it was too much.

Glad to hear someone else is messed up with the comp stuff.

Have a seat, a few beers (cases?) you aint going anywhere anytime soon.

That is except for the comps.

wallace

Congratulations Robert!! Looks like all your off season studies and prepping paid off. Is the second Grand as sweet as the first?

BBQ it is like the Best thing that has come out of the South After my Wife. It's not Addiction It;s a way of Life!!!!!!!!

Robert
Couldn't have said it better myself, I entered my 1st comp last September and have been hooked ever since. I sometime have to stop myself from talking about BBQ so much since friends and family can only take so much

Hello my name is Clay, and I'm addicted to BBQ competitions. There, I feel better already. :grin:

Back