• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for the top 3 BBQ competitions in Iowa

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My daughter and new grandson have moved from Alaska to Maxwell Iowa.

So I am interested in making my visits when there is a good BBQ competition to go to.

So what are the 3 best competitions to come to?

troy

Id say Marshalltown, Mason City and Waterloo. I am sure the last one is arguable!

Bearnakedbbq it is a continuously updated schedule. Go to the KCBS.us website and search Iowa in the events area

There's an Iowa BBQ Association which meets some-what regularly and has its own schedule of events. At least a couple of it's members, including the previous or current VP are members of this forum. I'd make friends with them, and if you ever visit Maxwell during a time when they are meeting in Des Moines, go hang out for dinner. They're a good bunch of people.

dmp

Carefully what you wish for, I'm thinking of going to Alaska to cook.
Your closest will be Ames, Marshalltown, DesMoines, Nevada, State Center

How does one end up in Maxwel from Alaska?

Bearnaked-
Don't just limit yourself to Iowa.

All of those great teams from Iowa visit us in Southern MN the weekend after Memorial Day. We are right on I 35 - only 1 hour north of Mason City if that fits your schedule better.

Would love to have a team from Alaska come and be part of our fun.

While the weather did not cooperate last year. Storm Lake was a fun contest and in a great location. Mason City was my first "big" contest and the environment is fantastic. While there are other great contests, to me those are the 2 "have to" contests for me.

Carefully what you wish for, I'm thinking of going to Alaska to cook.
Your closest will be Ames, Marshalltown, DesMoines, Nevada, State Center

How does one end up in Maxwel from Alaska?

Ex wife is from LeClaire Iowa and she just retired with 24 yrs in the USAF. She moved home, but not two close to her parents. My youngest daughter and my grandson moved with her. Figured if I want to see him I will have to travel and figure I could include a BBQ competition with it. In fact, I would like to find two competition on back-to-back weekends and do two competitions.

Third weekend in July is our state championship. Come on up!!!!!

Troy

Do you happen to have a Jambo I could borrow? Cant cook them a if you dont cook Alaska..

Ex wife is from LeClaire Iowa and she just retired with 24 yrs in the USAF. She moved home, but not two close to her parents. My youngest daughter and my grandson moved with her. Figured if I want to see him I will have to travel and figure I could include a BBQ competition with it. In fact, I would like to find two competition on back-to-back weekends and do two competitions.

Third weekend in July is our state championship. Come on up!!!!!

Troy

Back