Competition Desire but needing Help in TX!

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering a smoker (Lang 84 reverse flow or equivalent - lots of debate i know on it but that is an entirely different topic lol) and I have some experience with Pork Shoulder, Ribs, and Brisket. I haven't got a clue on how to prep Chicken though.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in the Dallas area looking for a grunt to help out and maybe mentor a little bit. I've got an open mind and looking for some help and guidance.

Thanks,
Gerry

One small thing - make sure that you find out which sanctioning body you're going to be cooking in. There's a world of difference between KCBS chicken and some other association's chicken. Putting the wrong one in the box will be a disaster :shocked:.

Right now I think I'm headed in the direction of KCBS for my foundation then can branch out from there. But I'm very open to learning. I am a geek by day (track down hackers) and a bit inclined to thorough note taking and then experimentation.

There are very few KCBS contests in Texas. You will find a boat load of IBCA and LSBA cookoffs all over the place on most weekends. With that being said, 1/2 chicken is the required turn-in and, at a larger contest, you may be required to turn in 2 each fully jointed 1/2 chickens with the wing tip in place. They can be cooked whole and then split or split and cooked, your preferance. Go to their web sites and they have suggestions and instructions on this.

I might recommend that you attend several cookoffs and judge to get an idea of the methods, flavors and quality of the product turned in. Talk to the cooks at the contest and most will even give you pointers and may allow a sample after the fact.

There are very few KCBS contests in Texas. You will find a boat load of IBCA and LSBA cookoffs all over the place on most weekends. With that being said, 1/2 chicken is the required turn-in and, at a larger contest, you may be required to turn in 2 each fully jointed 1/2 chickens with the wing tip in place. They can be cooked whole and then split or split and cooked, your preferance. Go to their web sites and they have suggestions and instructions on this.

I might recommend that you attend several cookoffs and judge to get an idea of the methods, flavors and quality of the product turned in. Talk to the cooks at the contest and most will even give you pointers and may allow a sample after the fact.

Thanks ... I'm actually waiting on my KCBS membership to process then was going to look at the Judging course. Will add IBCA and LSBA to that list. Need to educate myself and Judging was a great suggestion. Still need lots of practice but its a start. Thanks.

Back