• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

TYeam Names

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
KCBS has contacted me requesting I change my name/add my state as there is another team similar to mine. My team is Back Porch BBQ. The other is Back Porch Q. I have registered it, have a web site and invested my in a banner and a Brethern Banner. I dont really want to change Can they force this issue.

Who knows there is a group of people north of KC that used my name earlier in the year. I called the contest organizer she said they are locals that only do 1 maybe 2 local contests. She said she would talk to them and ask them to change their name. I have some friends in court over team names. Just another reason to check check check names before hand and make yours different than someone else's. Not just change of spelling there are 2 here close that sound the same but spelled different. Makes awards awkwards at times

We had to add Buffalo to our name after a couple years of competing(and we did check with KCBS). We didn't have much invested yet so it wasn't a big deal(some shirts and a banner), the problem they told us with giving points to the wrong team.

Which team had the name first? There's a lot of team names out there that are very very similar and like we've all said a hundred times, a simple team number would resolve this issue.

Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. Otherwise, I don't know why it would matter? I renewed my KCBS membership last time because I changed my team name and I wanted it "registered" with them, but they never changed it and I just couldn't care less at this point.

Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"

EDIT: Looks like wearcd beat me to it.

Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. .........

Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"
Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.

I would not change it and no they can't force you to. Go look at all the team names and you will find that there are a lot of teams that have similar names.

Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.

I'm not advocating he change his name in ANY way. All I'm saying is if he wants to get credit for winning, etc, it's not a big deal to add the state to his name while he's at a comp. That's all I did. I absolutely wouldn't change my name to the extent of needing new banners, shirts, etc. That's just ridiculous. :tsk:

Because sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. On one hand we have changing nothing and having to deal with contest result issues or adding as little as two letters to a contest registration form and having no issues at all.

and people wonder why KCBS TOY, BBQRace.com, and National BBQ Rankings have issues with getting the team names right.

If you were the first to use your name, then you shouldn't have to change -- period.

Just tell KCBS Back Porch BBQ is your intellectual property. Considering how vigilant KCBS in defending their IP, they should see your point.

The real solution to this is to have each team registered under an ID number and track TotY that way.

According to Sara Wells they were first. I have just noticed them recently in the Comps. According to her KCBS rules say no duplicate name I do not see this as a duplicate She said that things had fallen through the cracks and no one noticed this until she began spring house cleaning

I see it as a duplicate also ( Back Porch BBQ or Q is the same thing IMO) and since you were not first (easy to see--go to their site and see who signed up first), you should just add 2 little letters to the end of your team name on the application (not banners, etc.) to honor KCBS's rules (which I think are fair in this case). Not a big deal to do that.

The Back Porch Q I know has been competing for 4 years or more here in IL. I think there is a local to me brethren that named their team Drew-B-Q, which of course could sound a lot like Brew-B-Q at awards, but I don't really care that much.

According to Sara Wells they were first. I have just noticed them recently in the Comps. According to her KCBS rules say no duplicate name I do not see this as a duplicate She said that things had fallen through the cracks and no one noticed this until she began spring house cleaning
since when do's KCBS follow rules :icon_shy

Back