View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #10106
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
N8Man ... I'm using a flat lid on my open top UDS smoker at this time and have a closed end drum to use as an extended lid instead of a Weber lid. I'm intrested on how the two mate and if they will seal fairly well. I'm not planning to modify the UDS, just add an extended lid.

Thanks
Jim
If I get what you're after, you want to use part of a second drum as the lid for your current UDS which will add some height when in place, yeah? Kind of like using a Weber lid on top of a UDS but instead you're using a second drum, so your "lid" will have straight walls and flat top.

If so, and you don't want to mod your current UDS (so you can continue using your current flat drum lid when you choose to), I'd imagine your best chance would be to take drum #2 and do whatever you have to to open the bottom... turn it upside down, cut off the bottom, etc. I'd then use some thinner gauge metal to make a long strip perhaps 7 or 8 inches in height and long enough to go around the inside circumference of your UDS. Weld or bolt it to the inside rim of your "lid" drum so maybe 3 or 4 inches extends down and can slide into the open top of your smoker. you may need to use some high temp silicone or other sealant to get rid of air leaks on your extension lid. Fine tune with a rubber mallet and I expect you'd be good to go.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote