View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
mgcolby
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis469 View Post
I really do believe that a back to basics approach is gonna start working again. About a decade ago, all these chemical injections started working. But now, everyone's meat is tasting the same. Sure, phosphates improve moisture, but what about the generic beef and pork flavoring ingredients that are added in, plus all the soy product. I'm all for the make your own stock from bones from scrach, and then maybe add in a touch of a phoshate blend for added moisture retention. Think thats way better than a product that tastes like a ramen noodle spice pack...
I have to declare that I am new to the board and I am competing in my first comp in May. I have been Q'n for 8+ years and started with Brisket.

I have been all over the boards looking for comp tips, and I keep reading about people injecting their Briskets and Pork butts. And for the life of me I can't bring myself to do that.

First thing I notice about injected brisket is that they tend to look gross with the injection tracks and general discolorization of the meat. Now I've cooked a dry brisket or two , but generally my briskets come out moist and tender without anything added to them except a coat of mustard and dry rub. Same with my pork, its pretty hard to mess pork up in the first place, but it comes out moist without an injection.

My question is, do the judges expect the flavor profile of the injection and dock you accordingly if its not there?
mgcolby is offline   Reply With Quote