Sanctioned Contest Near Harrisonville, Missouri?

Interest in this event is picking up steam fast. As for "being an automatic if they get to 15 this year," that information is inaccurate. Nothing is an automatic for sanctioning by KCBS. They applied for sanctioning this year, but the deadline had passed. However, this year's event will be run by KCBS rules and scoring.

Good luck to all that participate.

kcpellethead said:
Interest in this event is picking up steam fast. As for "being an automatic if they get to 15 this year," that information is inaccurate. Nothing is an automatic for sanctioning by KCBS. They applied for sanctioning this year, but the deadline had passed. However, this year's event will be run by KCBS rules and scoring.

Good luck to all that participate.

That's kinda what I thought too, Rod but wasn't sure. Are you going to be here or are you cooking at Texarkana? Thought I heard you were headed sound this weekend. Whichever way, good luck to you also.

Jeff,

We're headed to Texarkana this weekend. Don't ask me why. With fuel prices at $3.59 per gallon, it's going to cost about $350 just to get there and back.

Look up Rick Salmon at your contest this weekend. Rick is a wealth of great information and very willing to share. I blame him for getting me involved in competition barbecue.

kcpellethead said:
Jeff,

We're headed to Texarkana this weekend. Don't ask me why. With fuel prices at $3.59 per gallon, it's going to cost about $350 just to get there and back.

Look up Rick Salmon at your contest this weekend. Rick is a wealth of great information and very willing to share. I blame him for getting me involved in competition barbecue.

Thanks... I'll do that. And I blame Jay for getting ME involved! The nerve of these farkers! :wink:

It ain't starting off too well... already set up the new cheapo Easy-Up knock off from the Evil Empire and the farker broker in two places! Plus it's cold and windy with a chance of rain. Also short a GoodOne Smoker and have to make do with one WSM, a BSKD and a Weber kettle! Funny being so close to home that I cam leave for me daughter's soccer game and head back. Later!

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time Jeff, maybe this is the contest that will test your patience. Sometimes the easy close to home events are the ones that make you add to the swear jar a 20 at a time

Good luck Jeff! Sounds like you have your hands full. Just take a deep breath and keep smiling......:wink: :biggrin:

Yeah, "breathe", for sure
icon_biggrin.gif

"That which does not kill you only makes you stronger".

You will do fine--
Mother nature screws with everyone the same.

TIM

I have to start off with the bright spot for the weekend... my 4 year old (almost five) daughter walked! She finished 3rd in the under 11 age group (out of seven kids) and got the first plaque of the day! I was about as proud of her as I could be! And she loves that award too! She did a small pork tenderloin stuffed with bacon and apple, rolled up, tied, given a pork rub and wrapped in bacon. Smoked in cherry (no apple at the contest). It was a LITTLE dry and not as tender as we would have liked. She had to be coaxed to go up and get the award. She was embarrassed! hehehe!

As for me, not good, guys... There were only ten teams in this. Finished 4th in ribs, 7th in brisket and 7th in chicken. And DAL in pork which shocked the living crap outta both myself and Wayne! Wayne came down to help out give me some pointers and assist at turn-in time. We both though we had NAILED the pork in all three areas and ended up getting HAMMERED by two judges! I'll have to get pictures posted as soon as I can find my cable to download from my camera (daughter lost it at the contest). When I hadn't gotten my name called after the got to the money places (1st through 3rd), Wayne said I had it. We both got pretty excited when 2nd place wasn't me... and when they called someone else for first, I think I was visably unhappy (hope not too bad). Overall, a hugely disappointing 7th place. I felt like I was on an uphill battle with little concentration all weekend. Maybe lack of time to prepare? Maybe 3 contests in 4 weeks? Who the heck knows? Anyway, a definite step backwards. But a learning experience just the same. One thing that was fun... they gave plaques to I believe 7th place and up with money to the top three in each category so even though I didn't finish very well overall, I still got to see how it feels to hear your team name called, walk up and accept an award. I don't HAVE to tell my family and friends around town there was only ten teams! LOL! So I got a 4th and two 7th plaques. Hey, hardware is hardware, right?

To top things off, had a heck of a time getting home. First, I about lost my WSM but got pulled over and secured it. Second, the cover and lid to my Weber Kettle flew off the trailer. My wife was following and was able to retrieve it before it got hit (only a small dent in the rim). Then, my $50 cover to my BSKD started to tear in the wind and before I got home, it had farking shredded and had pieces of vinyl and that nasty cottony stuff it's lined with flying out the back for miles!

Anyway, thanks Wayne for driving all the way down to Harrisonville to support and help me! Your help at turn-in time was awesome! Sharing my Newcastle and sending you home with some Q was a small price to pay for your expertice and experience! You're a great friend!

Congrats to your girl!

You will be better in the future because of this weekend. It sucks now. Have a couple of brews.

Congrats to your daughter!

Sounds like you had an educational weekend. Ponder it and continue planning for next season.

Congrats to the whole "Jeff family".

Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want???
Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques
icon_biggrin.gif

And--"walking" is addictive--right?????

Congrats on a fun and educational weekend, and that is what it is all about!

Post the full results when ya get them--OK????

TIM

ps--tie your chit down on the way home--a whole lot cheaper
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I have the sad stuff...

Overall:
1. Sticky Fingers (guy used to cook with Grillas)
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Smokin Salmons
5. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Big D Smokin Pit
9. Husker Fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Chicken:
1. Midwest Scuba Q
2. Smokin Salmons
3. Smokin Roy's
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Pork Patrol
6. Big D Smokin Pit
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Gators Git R Dun BBQ
9. Husker fanatics
10. Butt Busters

Ribs:
1. Smokin Roy's
2. Midwest Scuba Que
3. Gators Git R dun BBQ
4. BIG CREEK BBQ
5. Sticky Fingers
6. Pork Patrol
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Big D Smokin Pit

Pork:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin roy's
3. Midwest Scuba Que
4. Big D Smokin Pit
5. Pork Patrol
6. Husker Fanatics
7. Smokin Salmons
8. Gators git R Dun BBQ
9. BIG CREEK BBQ (this was the joke we thought)
10. Butt Busters

Brisket:
1. Sticky fingers
2. Smokin Roy's
3. Smokin Salmons
4. Gators Git R dun BBQ
5. Big D Smokin Pit
6. Pork Patrol
7. BIG CREEK BBQ
8. Husker Fanatics
9. Midwest Scuba Que
10. Butt Busters

My Scores:

CK 877 775 677 799 787 776 (it wasn't any better than those scores either)
RI 979 889 879 899 889 889 (perfect 9's on tenderness)
PK 887 567 568 687 878 787 (WTH?? I'm stunned)
BR 967 878 877 757 768 877 (to be honest, the 877 was probably closest - a bit dry but good looks and very tender)

Missed first pay day by 1.2 points in ribs.

Please realize that these are the conditions that make you a good competetor!!!

There will come a time when you say " I rember the Harrisonville Contest "

You are on the road to learning competion Q!! It is a curvey road with many a pot hole, but---

Learn from every cook

Don't make drastic adjustments

Keep a good log of times, temps. weather conditons ect.

Relax and know that everyones tastes are not the same and that you are cooking for not what you think is great Q, but what the majority of the people who are judging want to taste.

And hope to get your Q to the right table.

JMO & .02 worth

Spice

kapndsl said:
Did you realize you can now claim "Award winning BBQ" if you want??? Details are not important--"Award Winning" is "a fact" now with your walks for the plaques
icon_biggrin.gif

And--"walking" is addictive--right?????

Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year! :wink:

Thanks, Jay. Good points. And I did learn a bit from the guy next to me, Rick Salmon (Smokin Salmons). He has been in well over 100 contests he said and used to cook for the Oklahome Joe's Team. He still works in their restaurant in Olathe, KS. The man knows his chit and he's a chicken Q'in machine!

I think I've been fortunate at all three of my contests to have had some good teams next door (VooDoo at the Royal, Steve - Denver Cajun BBQ Crewe - at DeSoto and now Rick Salmon).

Jeff_in_KC said:
Umm heck yeah! And even if it wasn't TOO meaningful given the contest circumstances, it's still something to hear your team name called and get to walk up, get an award and get your picture taken. If nothing else, it makes you want to go out and try harder next year!
wink.gif
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Jeff,

Keep your chin up. Very few of us would have tried it on our own. Even though Wayne came to help you have my vote for sheer courage. Kudos to Wayne for helping you out also. Sometimes, not all great efforts are rewarded. Feel good about what you learned and your efforts. It will make you a better chef.:cool:

Back