I-70 BBQ Challenge

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It was great seeing everyone yesterday and a bunch of fun even before we won. Those local boys are tough to beat in Columbia, but we got lucky enough to do it. Thanks Mike McMillen and Larry King for pulling it together so quickly. Hopefully we represented KCBS well, and it all looks good on TV next spring!

Was this the one at Midway Truck stop? We were going to make the haul but were told they were full... sounds like a fun one

Lots of fun even though they moved back turn in times 1 hour after everyone was just about done cooking :doh: We finished 1st. place chicken, 5th place ribs and reserve grand overall. Congrats Jeff it was indeed a Dog Fight!!!:clap2::clap2:

I am sorry - is this one that only Mike picked who was going to cook?

I looked for it on the website and could not find it, last month because I thought it would be fun.

I also heard that there was some grumbling about it, something like it was not a KCBS event (it was not on their calendar) and that the teams were hand selected.

Brian and I talked about it on Saturday, we just wanted to know.

Bill,
Not sure what the selection criteria was. I received a phone call from Mike and was asked if I could cook it with 6 days notice. It was not a points cook, as we only did chicken and ribs and the only KCBS rules followed were garnish. We had 6 judges, who judged in the open (Carolyn Wells and 5 celebrity judges). It was decidely for TV, as Spice points out with regard to timing and turn-ins. Kudos to KCBS for donating the extra $500 to Honor Flight!!

Back