A brisket success story............

Qczar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have tried a few briskets in the past. The usual cuts from the market or Sam`s Club. But the cuts were thin and lean. I figured I needed something thicker to hold the moister. So I folded a 11lbs brisket in half. Results below!

Too tired last nite to fully post. But my briskets were coming out too dry before I tried this double decker 'MOD'. Fat sides to the center with seasonings between as well. Smoked to 185º or so, foiled back in the smoker for another hour and in the cooler over night with a heat pad. Pulled it out and she was firm to slice but very moist. I`ll certainly do it again next time. BTW, my ribs were as best as I`ve made thanks to the few tips from the Bash the previous weekend. Thanks to this site and the members that share there experiances, I have a whole new way of cooking. ............. Good stuff.

Reached brisket nirvana this weekend experimenting using a little of Leo's BBQ sauce with some horseradish mustard, worsteschire, dale's, and yoshida's as a glue for the rub. Used an eight pound flat from Sam's that spent the previous 24 hrs. in the Dr. Pepper marinade along with a 4 lb. eye of the round roast. Tastiest brisket I've ever had.

Hey - I think I found a long lost foot! - Look under the table!
dscf0391.jpg

xczar, looks good, great job. Interesting idea folding them. And how do you like the bamboo cutting board? I was thinking of getting one of those. They're supposed to be really tough, do they dull your knives?

Good looking grub. I'm Q'd out this weekend. Need to rest another day or so.

Good looking brisket....looks like you got that figured out pretty good.

Re: RE: A brisket success story............

dapittboss said:
xczar, looks good, great job. Interesting idea folding them. And how do you like the bamboo cutting board? I was thinking of getting one of those. They're supposed to be really tough, do they dull your knives?

My original thought was to stack two and tie them to hold together. But the one I went with was rather large and I just folded it over. I figured if the meat is double in thickness with a nice fat layer in the center, it could only help in keeping it from drying out. As it turned out, it could`nt have come out better and it kept it`s shape thought the cook. I did hit it with cider vinegar for 20 minutes or so, then a small amount of brown sugar, then rubbed all before cooking. Basting with apple juice throughout the cook as well (great idea, those insect pump sprayers, another good tip from the Bash).

Yeah that bamboo board seems pretty good. The construction (routering and glueing) of them seem top notch. Just got it a few month`s ago on sale at one of those discount stores. I too felt like the additional hardness might wear the hone of my knife faster, but I really have`nt noticed it yet.

RE: Re: RE: A brisket success story............

Where is the rub from ?

Re: RE: Re: RE: A brisket success story............

brdbbq said:
Where is the rub from ?

The Ribber City cans on the left are from the great BBQ`ing state of New Jersey :lol:

http://ribbercity.com/

And the Lysander`s pork, beef, and poultry rubs in the small bags are from Florida.

http://genevafoods.com/

Both brands are very good. ........ Pricy, but good.

Back