Big bad blt platter

MadCityJim

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Almost two weeks ago, on the Friday after the Bacon Throwdown was announced, I stopped by the Asian grocery and picked up a slab of pork belly.
bacon-001.jpg

I got it into a maple & brown sugar cure.
Bacon-002.jpg
Bacon-003.jpg

I pulled it out the following Thursday and rinsed it and set it back in the fridge to dry overnight.
Bacon-004.jpg
Bacon-005.jpg

I took advantage of some unusually cool weather and smoked it at 150 degrees for 5 hours last Friday.
Bacon-006.jpg
Bacon-007.jpg
Bacon-008.jpg

Next I had to decide what to make with my slab of bacon. Tomatoes are just at their peek here in Wisconsin, so I immediately thought of a BLT. But I knew I had to kick it up a couple of notches. I headed off the farmers' market and picked up some sour dough bread, beefsteak tomatoes, and leafy green lettuce.

So I guess you need 5 things to make a BLT: Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Bread, and mayonnaise. I've got everything covered except the mayonnaise. What is mayonnaise? It's just a fat emulsified with an acidic liquid via an egg yolk. Well I look in the panty and I've got vinegar; several types actually. And I have eggs of course. For the fat... wait a minute. I have that jar of bacon fat in the fridge... It's almost liquid at room temp. Maybe if I warm it to 80 or 90 degrees it will be liquid enough to make mayonnaise... Not Mayo... BACONNAISE! Yeah that's the ticket. Which vinegar? How about malt vinegar? Yeah, that will go perfect with the smoky flavor of the bacon fat.
Bacon-010.jpg

So here we go. I use the stick blender to whip up the baconnaise. I fire up the ProQ to grill the bacon. You really need at least 2 stackers to grill bacon and keep it above the flare-ups.
Bacon-011.jpg
Bacon-012.jpg

I fire up the kettle to grill the tomatoes.
Bacon-016.jpg

After the bacon is done, I butter the bread and then toast it on the ProQ.
Bacon-014.jpg
Bacon-015.jpg

I also wrap some bacon on dowels to make bacon straws for the Bloody Marys.
Bacon-009.jpg
(Actually I did this while the bacon was grilling earlier)

And throw some bacon chunks, cherry tomatoes, and lettuce together onto toothpicks to make “BLT Bites” to put next to the Big Bad BLT.
picture.php

Here’s everything together to make the “BIG BAD BLT PLATTER”
Bacon-017.jpg

To make the BLT: spread the baconnaise on the bottom of the bun;
Bacon-018.jpg

add a layer of leafy green lettuce;
Bacon-019.jpg

and some lightly grilled tomatoes.
Bacon-020.jpg

Then pile on the BACON!
picture.php

picture.php

Test fit the bun. (actually we paused after this picture to cut the bad boy in half. I held one side with one hand, my wife held the other (two hands) and I used the electric carving knife with my remaining hand…)
picture.php

Top with another drizzle of baconnaise and then top with the top of the bun.
picture.php

Put it on the plate with the BLT Bites and serve with a Bloody Mary garnished with Bacon Straws and Lettuce (the BLT theme again)
picture.php

Here it is all put together:
picture.php

Here I am taking a bite:
picture.php

I hope you all enjoyed my photos. If you did, you really need to check out the BBQ Brethren “Bacon” Throwdown Thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91917
and vote for one of the entries.

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• Bacon-013.jpg
    Bacon-013.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 210
looks pretty healthy with all those veggies :grin:.

it's about time i make some bacon myself......

Awesome job & awesome pics.

That sammie looks great.

I love how you wrapped the bacon on the skewers and secured with twist ties. This is your offical notice that I am stealing that procedure.

Did I just see that correctly......bacon in a bloody mary?????? Just when you think you've seen it all! :clap2:

Man that is a fantastic looking sammie! :clap2: Love the bloody mary Bacon straws.

That's pretty intense. Way farther than I would go for a BLT but it is a masterpiece!

Usually, I'm not blown away by food pron. But your BLT is a piece of art.

Back