Sausage Question

W

wihunter12

Newbie here, I have enjoyed reading and now have a question.

I am attempting to clean out my freezer before the upcoming hunting season.

I purchase an Eastman Outdoors kit to make sausage. I have 5lb batch of half pheasant and half pork and another batch of 1/2 venison and half pork.

I was planning on smoking these at around 200 degrees until reaching the desired temperature. My issue is that there was no cure in this kit only seasoning. Would smoking these sausages be the wrong way to go about this?

Well, the long times and low smoker temps that are used when cold smoking sausages are an excellent enviroment for bacteria, and that's why a curing agent is used.

So, the most accurate advice here would either be to hot smoke your sausage, not cold smoke it. When hot smoking, the sausage is not in the danger zone long enough to have any bacteria problems.

Although I discourage re-freezing meats, it is another option. Now, I'm not sure how the pheasant will take to re-freezing, but the pork/venison sausage will re-freeze without any texture issues.

Well, actually, you COULD do it the way that you suggest.....read on..

You just need to treat it as uncooked sausage...as in 'simmer for 25 min.", etc.

See, with some sausage smoked at too low a temperature, the smoke clogs the
pores in the casing...hence some people think that promotes botulism (which only
occurs in a vacuum).

Now, if it 'twere a truly big deal...would you ever see 'polish, simmer for 25 min."
sausage?

Thanks Duxklr... that recipe is my favorite.
made some over the 4th of july weekend and all I had on hand were bologna casings.. It made HUGE slices of summer sausage.. lol I should have hand formed smaller ones instead. :-D

Back