bulk pellets?

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
What's the best way to get bulk pellets? Do teams usually join forces and buy in bulk? Anyone in Iowa (or who will be attending Iowa comps) interested?

I was talking to Shotgun the other day, and he was telling me you were their bbqers delight hookup at the qlossal last year, Bob. Just a one time thing?

I would be interested in a bulk order as well if Candy or someone else can hook us northern folk up with some Delight...

Iowa/local Brethern, PM me with how many lbs you want and I'll get a bulk deal put together.

Sounds good, Don. Can you all give me some indication of how many lbs I'll need? Never cooked on an FEC and I'm not real sure. How much should I expect per cook?

I might be in on that too. How many pounds on a pallet? They come 10lb bags and there are 4 bags in a shrink wrap.

I'm ordering one today from Candy if anyone from my area needs some. Or if not from my area, I also travel a little......

I might be in on that too. How many pounds on a pallet? They come 10lb bags and there are 4 bags in a shrink wrap.

The more u order the cheaper it gets. I just ordered 2100lbs from Candy. order in 40lb increments. (4-10# bags per sleeve) They came on one pallet. Came to just under 5$ a bag shipped to NY.

I have been burning pellets since 2007.
I have tried about every supplier out there.
Because of my location in the FL Panhandle, each and every pellet has to be shipped in.

I burn about 1/2 lb/hr at 250 deg in my FEC. About 3/4 lb/hr at 300 deg or when using pure fruit pellets with lower BTU/hr output.
My Traeger Lil Tex burns about twice that.

My favorite is CookingPellets, because they are 100% flavorwood and a quality pellet.
But---over $1.25/lb with shipping. OUCH.

I have changed to Candy Sue's and they work great. Another quality pellet. They are blended with Oak, but I have learned to live with that.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a 400# bulk order from Candy Sue late last year. Cost about $260 or 65 cents per lb.
Great move.

I thought it seemed like a lot of $, but I used to spend way more than that maintaining my charcoal, chunks, and firewood inventory.
The pellets have an infinite shelf life (unlike smoker wood) if they are kept dry.

I just looked today and I am down to about 150# and need to be thinking of a re-order.
And, I only cook Comps and a limited amount of recreational cooking.

What I am trying to say is:
Don't be afraid of a 400# order for yourself--it is not really all that many $$ and works well.
You will have so much fun--you will go through that before you know it. It just SOUNDS like a lot :redface:

Good luck.

TIM

Don, I'm in too-Let us know how much you're thinkin weight wise. I'd be in for a couple hunderd pounds.

Then there's the pellet mill I have for sale in my warehouse barely used - including shipping $4,000.
22rpm's, nice unit would do the job - learn how to make them and solve any issue of supply forever.
just a thought :idea:

BBQchef33 - is that $5 per each 10#'s? or $5 each per $40 lbs delivered for $250 to NY?

I just got 1000lbs from Candy, 47 cents a lb. including shipping. Great pellets!

0.47 a lb thats GREAT! Where you able to get 250lbs of oak, 250 lbs or maple, 250 lbs of whatever or is it one species? still a great priced delivered - how do they compare to treager pellets?

Back