To be considered a State Champion

I agree it is your banner. Think about the signs Linda mentioned like the ones around you at Salisbury and DC last year. Several folks vending list all of their firsts (for the items they vend) as well as GCs State championship or not. You could just list 2009 if you choose...some list for the last several years or significant wins.

Got an email today buildasign.com is giving banners away again. All you pay is shipping which is reasonable.

They pull State Champions first. Doesnt matter where your home state is. After that if there are any home states not represented they add those teams to the invited list.

And YOU know Jack. :wink:

Not necessarily true, at least until there is a unification competition, because the Empire State Championship doesn't include every NY State Championship competition. :biggrin:

No unification comp needed; this is all I have to say about that... and
I think my NY pitch beyotch would agree:
take it.jpg

I think he calls himself a three time world champion. At MIM, Myron's hogs scored high enough to win not only the hog category but the Grand Championship of MIM - a world championship. I think it was 2008 when he earned his third world title.
I can't remember how we figured it, but based on how it was portrayed on "pitmasters" show, there was a little creative license going on. I think they counted the hog you mention twice... once for world champ (for hog) and once for the world champ (for overall highest score).... Not Dissing Myron - just showing Matt another example of how he can word his wins.

I am the only National Brisket Champion for 2009, thanks to my Chest to Chest invitational win.... but technically the world brisket OPEN (not invitational) can also crown a "world" champ... for those who enter.

I think we need a new thread for best "Marketing modified" titles :twisted:

If you feel like a champ then you are. you can basically write anything you want. no kcbs approvals needed for vending signs. you won the state championship in nj. so what if they have a couple of them. you dont have to tell every customer the technicalities of each award you have won. maybe to figure all of this out each state should have a shoot out at the end of the year to see who has the rights to use state champion on their sign, kind of like state playoffs.

I am the only National Brisket Champion for 2009, thanks to my Chest to Chest invitational win.... but technically the world brisket OPEN (not invitational) can also crown a "world" champ... for those who enter.

Did you get buy-in from pigmaker on this claim ? :biggrin:

Check his forum signature

Eric Johnson
Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars
2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ Brisket Champion

Did you get buy-in from pigmaker on this claim ? :biggrin:

Check his forum signature

Eric Johnson
Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars
2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ Brisket Champion

Yep Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars is the world champion, I am just a national champion. 8) But, World Brisket Open also produces a world champ... and I would imagine houston livestock does too :icon_cool

Yep Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars is the world champion, I am just a national champion. 8) But, World Brisket Open also produces a world champ... and I would imagine houston livestock does too :icon_cool

Pork Pullin Plowboys
2009 American Royal International (aka World) Invitational Brisket Champion

Two can play that game.

Was the Apple Blossom a state championship? If so, Boondoggle is one of the 40some Missouri Pork State Champions!

Was the Apple Blossom a state championship? If so, Boondoggle is one of the 40some Missouri Pork State Champions!

But the Apple Blossom Pork Loin State Champion is the only one I'm aware of.

I think it comes down to what do you feel comfortable saying with a straight face.

My wife was valedictorian of her high school class. If I were to mention this in her presence, she would immediately qualify it as she was co-valedictorian. Each time she does this I remind her that people don't rescind their first impression after hearing that it was shared with someone else. "You don't need to qualify it." It makes her feel better, though. And that's all that counts. She'll always be a "co-valedictorian". So be it.

Really work around the issue creatively. Name a team World BBQ, then when it wins a championship, it will always be World Championship BBQ :biggrin:

heyyyy... lunchmeat represented PA at the Jack two years ago!

The first time I ever saw a 'state championship' awarded at an event was at Pork In The Park in 2004. Sandy gives out Grand, Reserve Grand, and a Maryland State Champ (they come from MD) I kinda thought it was a Mid-Atlantic thing, very cool for those that live there, and a great way to get local teams to come out.

OC... I say put whatever you want on your banner... you are paying for it.
Whoever wants to get into it with you... best of luck to them.
You've got the bling , right?

Yardley? I forgot that comp. wasnt sure if it ran that year or ended the year b4.

But only one wins the Jack, you can enjoy your Empire Cup for a little longer, The Jack Lasts Forever.. LOL:p

No unification comp needed; this is all I have to say about that... and
I think my NY pitch beyotch would agree:
View attachment 37368

I can't remember how we figured it, but based on how it was portrayed on "pitmasters" show, there was a little creative license going on. I think they counted the hog you mention twice... once for world champ (for hog) and once for the world champ (for overall highest score).... Not Dissing Myron - just showing Matt another example of how he can word his wins.

I think we need a new thread for best "Marketing modified" titles :twisted:

But only one wins the Jack, you can enjoy your Empire Cup for a little longer, The Jack Lasts Forever.. LOL:p

<Smack Tawk Alert>.....starting... now:

At least til the next Jack winner... By the way, who won brisket in 2008? (without going and looking at thier website) :twisted:

I can't wait to see you at the two national invitationals this year... GAB and AR :icon_cool Then we can mix it up a little and see which brisket is better ... the JD or C2C winners Heck, at the BotB, too... right?

I have to beg to differ... It takes a SEASON of consistency to win the Empire Cup, I think that lives on:twisted: And Lady Liberty and I are enjoying her inaugural year. Wait til you see her blog posts.:razz:

<Smack Tawk Alert> ending.... now :icon_devil

(Ok, I have talked more crap then I have in the last 5 years in this thread - so now I will go to my room.... even if it is fun teasing Eric)

<Smack Tawk Alert>...
By the way, who won brisket in 2008? :twisted:

I believe it was Bubba and Jeff ? ... they were congratulating us on 2nd and almost missed it when they called their name...

I agree... consistency is the key and you DESERVE the Empire State Cup. You travelled far out of your area and kicked a$$ so many times to take it, so I congratulate you again!
But, beware... there are many of us that want that cup this year,
~ smack~
, (while having one hell of a time WITH you!)

Any contest in the state has an opportunity to get in touch with the peeps that run the Empire State Cup... I am sure that they would be inclusive, not exclusive, it is better for their events.

I also think that it would be awesome to have a shoot-out type comp... but probably impractical cuz you'd never get everyone to go... whether they were a'scared or already had previous plans...

Really work around the issue creatively. Name a team World BBQ, then when it wins a championship, it will always be World Championship BBQ :biggrin:

I had a friend who named all of his intramural teams in school, BYE. When people would read the schedule it would always read, vs BYE. He claims to have won more than one forfeit when the other team didn't show.

Back