Oil spill effects

1FUNVET

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Saw on local news this morn, that due to oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico:mad2:, the wholesale price on medium shrimp went for $2.00 to $5.00 a pound:doh:. Seafood is gonna real expensive real fast.Better stock up while you can.

I think the high prices will be with us for a while. This mess will not be going away any time soon.

Obama said B-P was paying, WTF. La, Al and Fl fishing dudes say this will screw up shrimp and fish for several years to come, because of it's location to spawning grounds.

Shrimp prices were good yesterday , should have stocked the freezer.....I'll check out the prices today...

Ah, we should be OK. Most of the shrimp that RD sells is from India or Bangladesh. :shock:

I live 60 miles North of the Gulf Coast and I buy my seafood fresh off the boats. The Blessing Of The Fleet in one of the larger ports only had 6 boats this year and none of them were commercial vessels. Very sad for the fisherman that make their living from the sea.

Rant On

This is really going to hurt a lot of folks all over the country. It amazes me how bad things seem to be compounded by more bad things. I wish I could be more optimistic about this country's future especially with all the hard times and simply bad things going on.

Rant off.

The effects of this spill will be around for a VERY long time.

One doesn't need to dig very deep into the beaches to still find oil from the Exxon spill in Alaska.........and that was supposedly 'cleaned up'

Mother Nature will find a way to recover and adapt - she always does. The earth has been spitting out all sorts of poisonous gasses, ash, and lava from volcanoes - yet life forms find a way to survive.

Louisiana produces almost 1/3 of the seafood consumed in the U.S , wait to the oil gets to Fla. .... Not a good picture...

Gack! Shrimp is going up, pork is going up, fish will go up what next?

Gack! Shrimp is going up, pork is going up, fish will go up what next?
Gasoline. Shipping routes are being affected... remember Katrina?? And if/when it hits Florida, I bet several condo owners will go belly up this year fueling the mortgage crisis... and then there is the property insurance in Florida that is already sky high! So... vacations to the beach may also go up in the near term. What about the coastal restaurants that depend on the tourist season?? Not a good scenario... get in line if you want to sue BP.

FWIW, I am going to Destin in July to support the restaurants, regardless of what happens... Looks like I might be eating stuff other than oysters and fresh catch.

some or many bp folks need to go to jail for a long time. criminal for sure.

some or many bp folks need to go to jail for a long time. criminal for sure.

Captain Hazlewood drove an oil tank drunk into a reef and only received community service - based upon that, I doubt anyone at BP will be doing any time for this incident.

I still want to draw and quarter that a-hole from Exxon.......

I for one will not be getting gas or shopping at any BP gas stations for a long, long time. fark them and their irresponsible ways.

Yeah My family will be heading to Mexico Beach in July should be intresting to see the effects.

I am suspicious. It seems too coincidental that right about the time when we are FINALLY going to start drilling for our own resources, an off shore oil rib blows up?! I wouldn't be surprised.

Just sayin'

Back