Pork Butt Rub?

MIZZOUBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got some family coming in town gonna smoke some butts. I'M gonna order some rub off the internet to try some different flavors looking at some simple marvelous cherry rub anybody used it or have any other suggestions.

I use equal portions of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika for my pork butt.

Here is the rub that I made up the last time I did pulled pork. The rub will get super dark on you, if you don't wrap. It is also salty, so on pork butt is works just right to season the meat, but if you put it on ribs go lightly with it.

By weight
4 parts kosher salt
4 parts course ground pepper (butchers grind)
1 part granulated garlic
1 part oregano
2 parts chili powder
3 parts paprika
1 part Lowery's season salt
1 part ground mustard
1 part cumin
2 part brown sugar
1/2 part cayenne
1/2 part nutmeg

The cherry rub is very good on pork as is the Sweet Seduction or the Spicy Apple Mmmmm

SM and BP have some great rubs.
The Sweet Money rub goes real good on any pork.
The best flavor I've had in butts is to use Sweet Money Rub, Sweet Seduction and Pecan rub. Then after the pork's done I grind up some of the Spicy Apple Rub and sprinkle it over the pork as a finishing dust. This was given to by big brother smoke and it's afarkinmazing!!!

I've used everything from a simple SPOG to Daves rib rub and they always turn out good. Just use the same rub you use on your ribs.

SM and BP have some great rubs.
The Sweet Money rub goes real good on any pork.
The best flavor I've had in butts is to use Sweet Money Rub, Sweet Seduction and Pecan rub. Then after the pork's done I grind up some of the Spicy Apple Rub and sprinkle it over the pork as a finishing dust. This was given to by big brother smoke and it's afarkinmazing!!!

I love the idea of the spicy apple rub as a finishing dust. I'm gonna have to try that one.

You'll like it I'm sure. I grind it up real fine in a mortar and pestle so it's a "dust"

So many rubs taste good on pork butts, just pick out a couple that sound cool!

I've used Big Ron's rubs as well as Oakridge BBQ rubs, both have some excellent products!

I've tried a few commercial rubs and for me they are all too sweet. I'm a simple man and love a simple salt, pepper, onion, garlic mix. Heavy on the salt & pepper.

Back