Duroc Pork

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on Duroc Pork. How does it compare to regular commodity pork and is it worth the price difference? Do you do anything differently when cooking it? Thanks

I'll trade you some duroc pork for your brisket recipe. We'll decide for oursives if each one is "worth it." :)

dmp

The Duroc I have cooked was cooked the same as any other pork. I think with the exceptiuon of lard hogs, any meat hog will cook just about the same. The one thing that is great about pork, it responds in flavor to how it is rasied and fed. So a lot will matter on feed and raising. The stuff I got was open pasture raised and got lots of varied grain in it's diet. I still cooked normally.

It is not at all like, for instance, grass-finished versus grain-finished beef.

I agree with landarc, I've noticed a big difference with Mangalitsa(wooly pig) and Berkshire however. They are both heavily marbled, and quite tasty!

Fancy pigs. Not! They all roll and marinate in chit for most of thier lives

COmpart Duroc is a better brand for sure. They use CO2 to kill so the animal is not stressed. They regulate their food program. And from my experience it is better. You will pay about a dollar more per pound on butts and ribs are pretty close to the same. Call Bob Post with Master Proveyers and he will ship it to your door.813-309-5615

Back