Cooking Baby Backs vs St Louis Ribs?

T

The Anchorman

Catering a party this Sat and the client insists on Baby Backs. I have only ever cook BBR maybe twice in my BBQ experiences. St Louis or full spares have I done. Is there anything special that I need to do? I just figured the same prep as with SLR just a little less time in the BWS Chubby before wrapping with the same rub and glazing technique. Am I correct in thinking this way?
Thank You for any help on this matter, will take pics along the way.
Ray

Use whatever your normal method is and just cut the cook time back. Check them at about an hour earlier and see where you are with them. You'll be fine, just don't cook as long.

I cook them 2.25-1-.15 FWIW at 225 on a Cookshack and they are awesome. If you count the time to wrap and unwrap then I would go 2.25-1.25-.30 Be careful with stage 2 as it can get away from you in a hurry.

Zbucket's times are more in line with mine when it comes to BBs. I have even been known to go 2 - .75 - .25 to get them right.

Keep a close eye on em during the wrap stage, and have a rack that you test with your toothpick. Babies are so tender, that you can go from great ribs to overdone pork roast in a 10 minute window, depending on your heat.

(Make sure you throw on one rack of St. Louis, and as you're serving the client, give him a STL for reference. Maybe you can educate/convert while making him happy!)

Funky is right on, they are much more unforgiving than spares. They go frepom tender to overcooked much quicker. I don't wrap and use the bend test, but if you foil watch them closely and you will be fine. About an hour less than St Louis is my general rule.

BBR's require a good rub texture. Go 2-1-1 then rub in dirt for 10 minutes. It'll be perfect ;)

Back