Grease Stains

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I use a new paint can to catch the grease that results from the cooking process.

A few days ago the can accidentally fell and the grease was dumped all over the new patio. Needless to say the wife was a bit perturbed.

Using my infinite wisdom, I suggested buying a bigger smoker, maybe a Klose, that would fit over the stain thereby hiding it from view.

I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was not in agreement and that I better figure out a way to clean up the mess.

Do any of you know a good way of getting rid of the grease stains?

Guido

Guido
Is it a concrete surface, or some kind or brick or tile?

I've had very good success with this stuff called Goof-Off. Works good on paint and grease. You can get it at any local auto parts store.

That and a good pressure washer.

Guido
Assuming it is concrete, here is the plan.
Go to an auto supply store and get a couple of bags of Oil-dry. Spread a thick coat over the stained area and allow it to sit for a couple of days. Much of the grease will percolate up into the oil-dry. Sweep this away.

Spray stained area well with a strong solution of water and hand-dishwashing detergent(like Joy).

Spread more Oil-dry over wet area and allow to sit a couple of days for the moisture to perk up into it oil-dry.

Repeat process as necessary till all grease has been lifted.

This is the simplest, safest way to deal with such a stain.

You might try some TSP (tri-sodium phosphate- available at Lowes, etc) if it's a concrete or other masonry surface. Qman's got a pretty good idea, though. Really, I think the bigger smoker plan is the best case scenario. Tell her it has our endorsement.

TSP is the kitty's behind for oil and grease removal. However the synthetic detergent in Joy is just as good in an application like this, and will actually help the water penetrate the concrete and perk the sub-surface grease better than TSP will. It also rinses more easily, and will not harm the landscape if you mix it too strong. Not so with TSP.

I would consider a final cleaning with a pressure washer if necessary.

EDIT: I also heartily endorse the Bigger Smoker Option :D

Let your wife know, the Brethren have discussed it, and we decided you should buy a bigger smoker. the smaller oil/grease dripping model will be shipped to my home for repairs. :D

Re: RE: Grease Stains

icemn62 said:
Let your wife know, the Brethren have discussed it, and we decided you should buy a bigger smoker. the smaller oil/grease dripping model will be shipped to my home for repairs. :D

Now that is funny. :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Grease Stains

First line of defense for grease stains is a good dog. Second is soap and a brush. Third is a month or two for sunshine and mother nature to take care of what's left. The occasional grease spill is just a natural part of things like, singed arm hair, soot smudges on your face, smelling like smoke and shrinking pants :oops: :wink: :D

Re: RE: Re: RE: Grease Stains

kcquer said:
First line of defense for grease stains is a good dog. Second is soap and a brush. Third is a month or two for sunshine and mother nature to take care of what's left. The occasional grease spill is just a natural part of things like, singed arm hair, soot smudges on your face, smelling like smoke and shrinking pants :oops: :wink: :D

You beat me to this one.

I got dogs that can lick through cement if grease stains are there.

You know them bristle grill cleaners full of gunk? I found mine way over by the fence, licked clean.

Checked both dogs tongues, no scratches or bleeding. How the fark they licked a copper bristle brush clean is beyond me.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grease Stains

You know them bristle grill cleaners full of gunk? I found mine way over by the fence, licked clean.

Checked both dogs tongues, no scratches or bleeding. How the fark they licked a copper bristle brush clean is beyond me.

Bill your dogs are good for a laugh at least once a month. My husky won't pee unless somebody is there to wipe her A$$ and your dogs are just licking the brush up and down the yard. I'll smile all weekend because of that thanks.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Grease Stains

willkat98 said:
kcquer said:

You beat me to this one.

I got dogs that can lick through cement if grease stains are there.

Remember Kojak on TV and that farking sucker he always had shoved in his face. Maybe your dogs just carried that farking brush around in their mouths, like a huge lolliepop, till the grease melted. :D

Bill's dog with a Kojak shaved head and a BBQ brush sticking out his mouth. Now that is a picture that I want to see. :twisted:

New farker is a year old in 2 weeks.

She is teaching the 6yr old lab to be bad.

I open the door, they come in from the yard.

6yr old drops a apple branch/log JT gave me and was in the pile out back. Almost fully debarked the farking thing. Drop a piece of firewood on the kitchen floor. That is the first sound I hear.

11month old Lab comes in next. Walks into kitchen, and drops a 1 pound rock onto the kitchen floor. Thud!

What the Fark?!

I go in the yard, and the new farker dug down a good foot into the clay to start plucking mini boulders from the lawn.

I got a farking golf course in the yard. I should charge greens fees.

Fark!!

So Mafia, do whatever you can to preserve the patio. Its the only farking thing left in my yard.

That new farker of mine is intent on digging her way to China. To her surprise, she'll end up on the menu somewhere

Back