• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

homemade sous vide for $75

bingo1912

Take a breath!
Reaction score
mmm, if you have an old crockpot around methinks you could rig a thermocoupler to it and go from there. in fact I think I saw a video of a guy doing that... mmm I will try to find it.

I saw that in the Weekly.

Don't have the counter space for that monstrosity, suppose I could park one on the deck?

mmm, if you have an old crockpot around methinks you could rig a thermocoupler to it and go from there. in fact I think I saw a video of a guy doing that... mmm I will try to find it.

I saw that one also but the total cost is much higher, it's bulkier and doesn't look nearly as cool,,lol
However! mAfter looking at the wiring diagram of Scotts device I think I may have come up with something a bit more,,, modular so as to not have to modify anything.

I saw that in the Weekly.

Don't have the counter space for that monstrosity, suppose I could park one on the deck?

Actually the unit itself is very small. You can clamp it to a vessel of your choice up to 15 gallons.
I'm hoping to build a slightly modified unit for resale. Just think of all the prize money you could win! :thumb::clap2::bow:

Hawg Father I'm going to use my seal-a-meal, should work just fine.

funny...the amazon site for the heater has more parts for the project in the "also bought with" section
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I8VE68/?tag=seattlefoodgeek-20

Looks like a really easy build, but I don't really need one. If someone else does I could throw one together for them...except for the liability. If you build one be sure to plug it into a GFCI outlet!!!

When I was a kid I worked in a chem lab, the bath would over heat in the summer and we had to run a cooling coil to bring the temp down.

One last note, your temp control will be better if you stick this in a cooler.

Wow - this is cool. Too bad I'm so inexperienced with electronics and well with handy things in general, else I'd try it.... I wonder how well it would work/last?

I'll be making them soon. No idea what the final cost will be yet. I want them to be reliable so I have some experimenting to do. :becky:

Note: The article says 0.1 C accuracy...
This is incorrect, the display may have precision to 0.1 C but that is no guarantee of accuracy, nor even precision of control. Further RTD sensors come in various grades, assuming this is a type A the probes can vary as much as 0.35 C from theoretical ideal. I find that assumption to be a bad one as I bet these are "ghost shift" or seconds from Guandong.

OK
So it isn't a smoker but this thing is AWESOME! a sous-vide machine brings your cooking to a whole new level, unfortunately they cost an arm and a leg! Here are some plans I found to build one for $75 Unbelievable!
Thanks to Scott at Seattle food Geek
Enjoy!

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/comment-page-8/#comment-2358

I think this was the link you were looking for:

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/...rsion-circulator-for-about-75/comment-page-8/

Back