Hot and Fast Brisket Pron **It's Done**

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Day 2 and I’m trying the Hot and Fast Method. I’ve got to say every fiber of my being is say NOOOOOOOOOOO. The Brisket has been on for 2 hrs and it smells good. I put it fat side up (I don’t know if that’s going to make a difference, I always cook fat side up) and I just checked the smoke and she is smoking along at 330. Here are some pics.

Got the coals ready
HotFastBrisket001.jpg

My dog Zip is ready
HotFastBrisket002.jpg

The Brisket when it was first put on.
HotFastBrisket003.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is too hot for the Hot and Fast? And does it matter Fat up or Fat down?

Last edited:
And does it matter Fat up or Fat down?

Probably doesn't matter but on the BGE and WSM, I cook fat down with the theory that its an insulator from the heat coming from below.

I have always cooked mine fat side up as you are doing. This is the way I was taught in Texas, the reason being that it allows the juices of the fat to permeate through the meat adding more juices and flavor to the meat. I have also heard of fat side down as Jason suggested. I've heard that it really doesn't matter. I guess It's just a personal choice. Go figure.

using the high heat method, I usually start fat side up for the first 2-2.5 hours, then flip it when I put it in the foil to take it to the finish.

Either way it's all good.

Looking forward to the "after" pictures!

Brisket at 31/2 hrs.
HotFastBrisket004-1.jpg

HotFastBrisket005-1.jpg

The smell is just absolutely mouth watering.

I cook 'em at 375, in a pan, fat cap down. Sometimes the fat cap just sticks to the pan and I don't have to even trim it after cooking.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

You still have time for a mustard slather!

(going to my room)

The Finished Product

HotFastBrisket006.jpg

I’m letting the Brisket rest, Its had a long day. I tried so bark and it was so good. :mrgreen:I’m going to let it rest for about 1 1/2 hrs. If this is as juicy as I think it’s going to be I will never cook another brisket any other way. Thanks for all the help everyone.

I've always read and been told fat cap up so the fat renders through. Maybe it's not a big deal but I don't think I've seen it done any other way.

Mattg That looks good. I never can get my WSM up to that temp. It looks like you don't have water in your pan. Do you keep the pan empty? Maybe that is why I can't get up to 330.

Brian, try just foiling the water pan and leaving it empty. You can also either prop the door open a crack or offset the lid a little to get up to temp.

It’s Finished. It’s a little smokier than I like. I guess I used to many hickory splits. Its juicy and has a decent smoke ring. I will definitely do this again. Cooked around 5 hrs.. Not bad at all for a 12 lber.
I must say that I am very impressed with how little fuel that I burn in the WSM.

HotFastBrisket014.jpg

HotFastBrisket012.jpg

HotFastBrisket009-1.jpg

HotFastBrisket013.jpg

Thanks once again for all the help. Sat RIBS.

Back