Venue Poll

Assuming good weather. What would you prefer to have under your tent at a contest.

• Blacktop

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Concrete

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • Grass

Votes: 82 67.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Dont care. Makes no difference.

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Assuming 2 things.

1 - Good weather.

2 - That in a rainstorm, everyone would prefer blacktop over mud.

What would you prefer for a contest venue.

Post comments too if theres other circumstances.

Any venue that is setup like dover, half grass and half concrete, best of both worlds.

Upon first thought I would have to say concrete as it's not as messy when it gets wet, which in this case would be from wash tubs, hose, etc. It will also dry a lot faster.

Grass is softer for sleepign though :mrgreen:

My vote is for Concrete or Blacktop. It is a PIA with the Spicewine on grass as it tends to sink into the turf making it next to impossible to move.

Concrete! Blacktop is murderous when hot. Grass can be cool but you got to worry about rain, chiggars and items sinking into the dirt.

How do you stake down in either concrete or blacktop? That's why so many Dover folks got creamed, no?

You can put stakes or turf screws into grass to hold down in a hurricane...as long as your structure doesn't implode!!

I voted grass, but now that I think about it, the Backwoods will roll much better on concrete than grass....

Any venue that is setup like dover, half grass and half concrete, best of both worlds.

I agree. The set up there was great, plenty of room, water, electric, level sites, it was very user friendly. Concete and grass. I would be a little hesitant to drive a stake or an anchor into the ground there, I think there is a lot of burried power lines and would not want to hit one. We used 5 gallon buckets filled with water in conjunction with ratchet straps and our canopies held pretty good.

Ive done contests on sand/grass combo, blacktop and grass with a goood base.

I prefer gravel. Sand and grass we got hit with 3 bad storms. We were on the base of a big hill, near a lake pond. Water was over our ankles. Had to level pit tires to get her level on one side.

Done blacktop.........radiates a crapload of heat.
Gravel.......well most places keep it pretty level. Unlevel ground beats the crap outta my body anymore.....Old age mod.

I really like grass, generally when you have grass you may get a shade tree. The blacktop in Bel Air is just blazin' hot . I guess I just like nature.

I would like a combo, 10x20 blacktop, 10x20 grassy turf, and two large shade trees about 8 feet apart to fit my hammock.

We used to prefer grass, for sure.

Now that CheKeeta is done, it makes no difference.
Just cook on!

TIM

How do you stake down in either concrete or blacktop?

you'd need to bungee to something... hopefully a full 'Magic' cooler!

I prefer grass, but you've got a point with the bug thing... ants especially wig me out.

Tradeoff's either way...I really don't have a preference.

Ussing your two assumptions of good weather and no rain, I'd likely choose concrete for easier mobility of the cooker and less likely to have major bug problems but grass is easier on the feet.

Last edited:
Back