Myron Mixon's Class, Awesome

Quint

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So a few months ago I posted a thread titled "I love my wife...." and wrote about how she surprised me with an enrollment into Myron Mixon's class at his place in Georgia. Well I just attended and WOW!!!!!! what a unbelievably great class. He is quite a man, he makes you feel like you are his best buddy, more than happy to spend time chatting with you in between instuction, takes picture after picture with a smile. He takes every question during class that anybody has on what he was doing and takes his time explaining and makes sure you understand. I can't say enough about how great he was, and he was that way with everybody. I was thinking this man runs 1 class a month with up to 100 attendies and every class I'm sure is the same, people wanting pictures taken and books signed and he handles it so well, with total class.

The education and information was amazing. He really shares a ton of experience, recipes, time lines, cooking phylosophy. It's information overload. Shares the recipes of all his sauses and rubs, even of the ones he sells. He shows exactly how he does things when competing. He held nothing back back. I learned more in those 2 days of his class that years of experiencing and experimenting on my own would still fall exceedingly short. We smoked over 2000lbs of meat over 2 days and he went into excruciating detail on every cut of meat we did. Preperation, injecting, rubs, cooking methods, time lines, resting methods, everything. There were competition teams there trying to pick up tips and secrets and Myron held back nothing. We actually pinged him on it and he said that he has actually been beat in competition by teams that have come to his class and it gave him a sense of pride.

I must say he was the nicest, most down to earth, celibrity I've ever met. Made me feel as if I was an old friend and we were smoking in my back yard. I can't leave out his son's and pit crew all did and excellent job and all very happy to help you out in anyway with any question or need. I can't say enough good things about the whole experience. More than I ever imagined.

Jealous. Glad to hear the glowing report. A friend of mine (and former teammate) told a MM story from about 10 years ago (pre-tv fame). That sounded similar.

He was neighboring at a comp, and my buddy ran out of pellets for their FEC. Before they even had a chance to ask, myron came over with a nearly full 20lb bag and just said he noticed they were about to have a situation, and help themselves for the rest of the cook. Came over later to have a drink and chat.

Class act.

Nice to hear. After watching him on TV, I wasn't sure whether he would be nice in public or more full of himself. Nice to know that he is just a good ol' boy...

Thanks for the post. I want to go to a class as soon as I can find the time.

Man, I'm so glad to hear that. He obviously knows how to cook BBQ but I'm kinda turned off by his "TV persona". I had always hoped it was part of the TV gig, your review confirms that. Thanks.

That's awesome. He puts on a good show for the cameras but I've heard a lot of good things about him and his class.

I respect what is taught in class stays with you, but I would be curious if you learned a lot more than what you already knew and if there were things you would never have learned had you not gone.

A buddy and I went last November and learned a ton!

My que has improved and the experience convinced me that there is a lot more to competition than I imagined.

I needs ta know, you mean to tell me he has more in his head than is available here??

Glad you enjoyed it.

I always liked him on TV. I like how he just does what he does, if you don't like it too bad. His confidence is earned.

The class usually fills two months in advance. When you decide on a time that you can go, book it.

I needs ta know, you mean to tell me he has more in his head than is available here??

Sometimes hands on experience is more helpful. I went to his class before I found these boards. Are some of the topics/techniques the same, of course. Actually being hands on and helping smoke a 200 lb pig or seeing up close how to trim meats for a competition, you can read about it, but the visuals and priceless. People learn differently.

I took Myron's cooking class in 2004. There were only 7 of us in the entire class. Big difference from today's classes. I agree it was the best money I've ever spent. That's when I really learned how to barbecue.

Sometimes hands on experience is more helpful. I went to his class before I found these boards. Are some of the topics/techniques the same, of course. Actually being hands on and helping smoke a 200 lb pig or seeing up close how to trim meats for a competition, you can read about it, but the visuals and priceless. People learn differently.
I don't do the beauty pageant circus so it would be a waste of money for me after 30 yrs of burning wood & cooking meat I got it covered.

Back