Question about a commercial smoked turkey

mrcranky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The other day, a friend told me about this place: http://www.gobblegobble.com/.

He claimed that their smoked turkeys are amazing. He says that he thinks that the turkeys are cured and then smoked at a low temperature. I'm guessing around 170-175 (since the turkey does need to get to 165).

Or, is he wrong, and is this just a turkey that is smoked at the usual temp of 220-230?

I'd like to try and replicate what he had so I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks!

I would guess they use a large rotisserie over an open fire as dark as they are. Poultry is best smoked at temps above 300 for an edible crisp skin.

I have had similar products, I would bet that it is more likely slow smoked in a commercial smoker with hickory added. I doubt it was smoked at temperatures below 200F though. Although it is impossible to really know, the skin is so dark, it looks more like a medium heat smoke to me.

Good thoughts...I might do some experimenting with some chickens.

The one thing that throws me off is that they say that even after shipping, the turkey can be kept in the fridge for 6-8 days, which is longer than the FDA recommends. This makes me think that it might be cured.

Best way to find out would be to order one and look at the meat. If it is pinkish or extremely salty, then probably cured. I know of no smoked commercial turkey product around here that is not at least brined. It makes it easier to maintain a moist breast. I prefer a less salty turkey so I tend not to buy these birds.

Not a bad idea. I might try it a few times and then order a small turkey from them to see how mine compares.

Based on some quick web searching, I could find no information suggesting that it is cured, and some reviews stated that it wasn't overly salty so I'm guessing that it is just brined & smoked.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info and the link Qdoc! It doesn't look too hard. I'll probably pick up a small turkey and give this a shot.

Last edited:
Back