Fire everywhere help me figure how to put this out

Tony A

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
No my house is not on fire thankfully but every time I grill on my primo even with both vents about a quarter open everything I open the lid to flip the whole basket of charcoal which I use royal oak goes in flames and I have no time to flip my food cause I'm battling flames is this normal and how do I help stop this

The method is called "the burp".

Reduce the exhaust and intake - and quickly raise the lid only an inch - and close it again.
Repeat a few times until the fire is stabilized.

If you want to extinguish completely - close off all vents fully.

Is the key word 'grill' meaning hot? Haven't seen this at all on my Primo with temps up to 300. Have I just been lucky not to burp my eybrows off yet? And if 'grilling' is there much reason to close the lid in the first place?

Are you "burping" it first? Most kamado instructions I've seen says to open the lid a crack and wait a few seconds because if you go full open, then the sudden rush of oxygen causes the situation you describe.

bge, primo.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYoLDekhZkU"]Burping the Big Green Egg - YouTube[/ame]

i actually only lift mine a couple inches a few times. this is a good example of the movement, but not necessarily the best example of burping a ceramic kamodo style grill.

No my house is not on fire thankfully but every time I grill on my primo even with both vents about a quarter open everything I open the lid to flip the whole basket of charcoal which I use royal oak goes in flames and I have no time to flip my food cause I'm battling flames is this normal and how do I help stop this

Why would you"flip the whole basket of charcoal "?That's your whole problem.

I'm not flipping any basket of charcoal no time to flip the food... And yes I was burping the grill but I don't think I was burping it properly or giving it enough time to burp before opening the entire top of the grill

Back