It's That Time Of Year--Home Cured Ham--Ongoing Thread

RO lump with cherry chunks. The Hunsaker's locked in at 150 where I initially want it. God I love this smoker. Monitoring temps in 3 different spots.

3iyFWIdh.jpg

And away you go. I like the design of your hanging ring. What's the distance between the bars?

The one you did last year looked outstanding, so you have that one to top, and I have no doubt that you will.

Just another quick and easy cook by Sako, nothing to see here!:wink:

So an update at 6.5 hrs. She's been steady cruising at 200* and IT is at 120*. BTW Cyberq is just to monitor temps. I've made only a couple minor adjustments to the intake in order to maintain 200* since outside temps are dipping.

TvwmL4Hh.jpg

Taking on a nice color

uvi3mvAh.jpg

The one you did last year looked outstanding, so you have that one to top, and I have no doubt that you will.

Thanks Ron! Coming along nicely so far. :thumb:

Just another quick and easy cook by Sako, nothing to see here!:wink:

:laugh:

Your comment reminded me of

9cc.gif

amazing. thinking ahead, that ham bone is going to make one mean soup.

that photo caused a bit of flashback for me...

"The boy JB was a friend of mine, til I caught him in my car trying to steal my Alpine..."

amazing. thinking ahead, that ham bone is going to make one mean soup.

that photo caused a bit of flashback for me...

"The boy JB was a friend of mine, til I caught him in my car trying to steal my Alpine..."

Oh yeah! :thumb:

9z5jm6bh.jpg

"Don't quote me boy 'cause I ain't said chit" :mrgreen:

9z5jm6bh.jpg

Oh what it must be like to be a smoker in Cali. And I'm not talking about the ham bone. Although the ham turned out fantastic. Makes me want a hunsaker even more.

9z5jm6bh.jpg

Oh what it must be like to be a smoker in Cali. And I'm not talking about the ham bone. Although the ham turned out fantastic. Makes me want a hunsaker even more.

Lol thanks Josh!

Hunsaker is farking awesome for sure. I had a total 1/3 basket full, started at 150 for an hour, then I bumped it to 190-200 and it cruised there for 7 hours. Total of 8 hours in the Hunsaker to take on smoke/color then into the oven at 190 for 9 hours until I hit IT of 155.

Thanks for the post, and I am sure you hit that thing hard:-D You lucky, lucky man.

Thanks for the post, and I am sure you hit that thing hard:-D You lucky, lucky man.

Made a wrap sammich with it. That and slicing and eating countless slices. :mrgreen: Making some sammiches tonight with fresh baked bread. Putting my time off work to good use. :thumb:

Vac packed the rest in small portions.

eMVvtMfh.jpg

great work. that turned out beautifully.

keep this up, and next on your equipment list will be a spiral slicer.

great work. that turned out beautifully.

keep this up, and next on your equipment list will be a spiral slicer.

He doesn't need one. He just does it by hand. I couldn't find it, but I know I seen a post where he spiral cut one by hand.

Sako - Looks great. Overall, how does it compare to the best purchased ham you have ever had? I have often wanted to do this for the special meals of the year (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas), but my wife (The Princess) and her sister (The Queen) do not allow my silly smoking escapades near the family table. They state it is there meal with the rest of the year being mine.

I may do one along with what they do for Easter just to compare. But looking for some flavor guidance.

Now my next issue - what to smoke in 9F weather this weekend? Hmmm......

Ted

He doesn't need one. He just does it by hand. I couldn't find it, but I know I seen a post where he spiral cut one by hand.

Did it for Christmas. A sharp knife and a steady hand work fairly well. :-D

uz9FNd2h.jpg

Back