• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

If Briskets were judged by....

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
If Briskets were judged by their resemblance to petrified wood,
I would have gotten a perfect score.

This was my third and last attempt at cooking a brisket using the Hot and Fast method. I know many of you have cooked Hot and Fast with great success but this guy has had nothing but difficulty with the results. I just can't under stand what happened.

I don't know where the brisket police are located, but I'm sure that they have a wanted
poster with my face on it.
Now that I've I got that off my chest, I feel better now........

I can understand, for me it was the opposite, I just cannot get a brisket right low and slow. The hot and fast allowed me to produce decent brisket for the first time.

It's ALL about the internal temp of the meat. No matter how low and slow or how hot and fast you smoke it, you have to get it to the right internal temp!!!!
Take it off at 195-200 and you will have good Brsiket.
Hot and Fast
Use an internal thermometer so you know what's going on in the meat!!!

Just so you are not using the wrong (or too much) rub, just use black pepper and a little salt.

375 degree smoker - 3 hours in an aluminum pan.
Cover with foil at 3 hours (making sure there is some moisture in there)
Smoke for another 2 hours or until the internal temp comes up to 195-200.
Pull it off and let it rest.
Easy as pie!!

I think the biggest advantage of high heat, is that when you screw it up, you've only wasted 6 hours of your life instead of 12 hours. :biggrin:

Since we know it's possible to produce very tender and juicy brisket in a 350 degree oven, it makes sense that a tender brisket in a high heat smoker should be possible also. Like kickass said, the hardest part is timing. The window between undercooked and overcooked is much smaller at high heat.

In my experiance brisket is usually hit or miss on your first few tries however i dont think i have ever cooked a fast briskett but i enjoy sitting out back with my buddy mr beer and killin time!!

The last high heaters I've done in the drum have been my best to date. Maybe we can help you figure out what happened. Whatever you do, don't give up the briskies just yet.

I needed to stop trying, i couldnt get one done low and slow...my smoker was/is stubborn and my mods have made it work...but until I build my DBS, i am just going to stick with pulled pork.

I don't know where the brisket police are located, but I'm sure that they have a wanted poster with my face on it.........

I resemble that remark, Al Capone. :tongue:

I rarely do briskets because I'm not good at them. Maybe we all need just more practice. :wink:

I rarely do briskets because I'm not good at them. Maybe we all need just more practice. :wink:

I always do briskets because I love 'em, whether I'm any good at 'em or not. I'm assuming my are hot and fast, as they only take 6 hours or so. And the only person who's complained so far is me. Anyone whose tried them has said they were great.

But, they're all Minnesotans, what do they know.

Wait, one of our mods is from here, right?

Scratch that last remark. Where's the backspace key... :icon_blush:

Seriously, though, go with what works for you. If low and slow is what you're good at, and you enjoy it, why change? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have done the black pepper and salt thing along with the hot and fast yet I too have yet been able to get it right.
I'll give it another try like this though..

It's ALL about the internal temp of the meat. No matter how low and slow or how hot and fast you smoke it, you have to get it to the right internal temp!!!!
Take it off at 195-200 and you will have good Brsiket.
Hot and Fast
Use an internal thermometer so you know what's going on in the meat!!!

Just so you are not using the wrong (or too much) rub, just use black pepper and a little salt.

375 degree smoker - 3 hours in an aluminum pan.
Cover with foil at 3 hours (making sure there is some moisture in there)
Smoke for another 2 hours or until the internal temp comes up to 195-200.
Pull it off and let it rest.
Easy as pie!!

Back