• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Serious Help, pork butts

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I crammed 16 butts into 2 22" WSMs last night. Everything was going fine until this morning, a thunderstorm came through and almost put the fire out on both of them. Internals on the butts are between 160-165 with one being at 171. I have two hours from now to have them done. They are wrapped in foil and the cookers are wide open and I took 4 of them off to make some room and threw them in the oven at 325. Both cookers are at 275 right now. I'm trying every trick I know, but I have to serve volunteers at a rebuild for a playground/Kiwanis park (that was destroyed by arson a couple months ago) at 12 and it is 9:20 right now. Anyone one else have anything up thier sleeve?

and I've never pulled one without letting it rest for at least an hour, it looks like I'm not gonna have that option today. How do you think it will affect the final product?

We've done butts in 4 hours flat at comps at temps around 315-320.

I'd get them all in the oven or crank the temps up on the WSM's to above 300. If they're foiled, they'll be somewhat protected from the extra smoke.

At 170, they should probably out of the stall, so crank em up and they'll get there pretty fast.

Good luck!

Another thought: How far away is the place where you're serving? Is it at all possible to start serving whatever's done and let the others keep cooking if needed and run back for them? I know it's not ideal, but????? You may end up with 1/2 of them tender in an hour from now. I know what you're feeling man.......and is sucks. I've been there.

Back