• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Today's experiment - stuffed peppers

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Grew up with stuffed peppers... bell peppers stuffed with rice/sausage blend in a tomato based sauce...
thought it was time for a Brethren-influenced update.

Started off whipping up a batch of Keri C.'s beans... using Plowboy's Bovine Bold and
Bush's (new) Texas Ranchero beans (pinto beans with jalepenos in a red chili sauce)...
which eliminates the addition of cayenne powder in the recipe... and without green peppers...
its flavor will be added later.

picture.php

The peppers of tonights selection...
picture.php

picture.php

The filling... thought about adding sliced sections of fatties... didn't work out that well...
wound up rolling and molding the fatty fixings into each pepper. Three pepper hold Jimmy Dean maple
and the big one iin the back is the Hot sausage.
picture.php

I hope it tastes as good as it sounds...will report back after dinnertime tonite.

Last edited:
That looks like a great meal! Keep us posted.

That looks really, really good so far. The stuffed peppers I grew up with were more like mini meatloafs in a bell pepper shell with a little sauce on top for the final few minutes of the cook. I'm liking this bean lake idea!

That looks really, really good so far. The stuffed peppers I grew up with were more like mini meatloafs in a bell pepper shell with a little sauce on top for the final few minutes of the cook. I'm liking this bean lake idea!

My thoughts exactly. I'll be giving this variation a try soon. Thank you.

Yeah, that looks really good. Make sure all matches and sources of sparks or ignition are controlled before eating, though. Whew, what a brew! :becky:

Final thoughts...

Total time was 3 hours at 225-230 in the Bubba Keg.

The pepper softened up nicely during the time... however packed it up too dense, tho... close to 1 lb by itself. The family and myself gave up on the volume of the stuffed meat. The beans simmered without a problem... and the flavors were great.

Next time... will consider a less dense meat.

Thanks for the update. I will have to give a try. And, you gotta love that Bubba Keg.

Final thoughts...

Total time was 3 hours at 225-230 in the Bubba Keg.

The pepper softened up nicely during the time... however packed it up too dense, tho... close to 1 lb by itself. The family and myself gave up on the volume of the stuffed meat. The beans simmered without a problem... and the flavors were great.

Next time... will consider a less dense meat.
Great idea... sugary, bacon fatty beans cooking my pepper down... stuffing diluted with a little rice and some diced tomatoes/onion. Making my mouth water here. Grow peppers, grow.

Those look good and stuffed peppers are some of my favorites too. Here's how I did mine on the Egg. Definitely more of a roasted than smoked pepper but they were very good.

DSC_0341resized.jpg

Chris' Fire Roasted Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients
1 cup long grain rice
1 3/4 cup water
saffron threads
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 ea yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 lb chorizo sausage, casing removed and broken up into small pieces
1 tablespoon garlic, roasted
1/4 c cilantro or parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 ea roma tomatoes
1 cup colby jack cheese (divided in half)
5 ea green bell peppers
8 oz tomato sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

Instructions
Bring water and saffron to a boil, add rice, reduce, cover, and simmer for 18-20 minutes.

Cross cut the tomatoes 1/4 inch on the top and blanch in boiling water for 30 seconds then dump in a bowl of ice and water. Peel skins, quarter and remove seeds. Dice into 1/4 inch pieces.

Cut the top 1/4th off of the bell peppers, remove seeds and ribs. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes and then cool in a bowl of ice and water.

Saute the onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook until just slightly browned.

Mix the rice, chorizo mixture, parsley or cilantro, 1/2 of the cheese, tomato sauce and tomatoes.

Stuff peppers with the rice mixture.

Mix the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Spoon over the stuffed peppers.

Preheat your cooker to 325 to 350f indirect heat (0r oven). Cook stuffed peppers for 30 minutes.

Top with remaining cheese and cook another 15 minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Back