Kettle Fried Chicken, Acorn Squash, and Fried Green Tomatoes

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
After seeing a bunch of people using this fancy chicken breadings and raving about how good they are, I had to finally give it a try.

I sliced up some Green Tomatoes.
They got an egg wash and then battered with House of Autry Chicken Breading with some corn meal mixed in. They were then fried for about 4-5 minutes (until golden) and set to drain.(I deep fried these in a cast iron pan, no grilling here sorry)

The Acorn Squash was sliced up, de-seeded, drizzeled some olive oil over it, then sprinkeled some Plowboys Fins and Feathers rub, and then gave it a good coating of brown sugar. Wrapped it up in foil and onto the grill. (indirect at around 350* (sorry no pics)

I used some thighs and wings for the kettle fried chicken, first they recieved a healthy rub of some Plowboy's Yardbird and was allowed to rest with that for about 40 minutes. I then breaded them with a mix of house of Autry and Andy's Chicken Breaders. (Side note: Andy's Mild Chicken breader has a really good flavor with some heat similar to say KFC, where House of Autry's is much milder and silkier but still has great flavors.)
Then on to the grill
IMAG0602.jpg

I didn't have much in-direct room so I used my kettle pizza collar and a spare grill grate to create a second tier for the chicken. I wasn't thrilled about having chicken above anything else so i put a foil cover over the foiled acorn squash to prevent the juices of chicken to fall into the squash.

Here we are all plated up, Fried Green Tomatoes got a splash of some ranch dressing, ate everything else as is.
IMAG0605.jpg

This was my first time making kettle fried chicken, but i have to say it's soo farking good, you guys weren't lying. I devoured the chicken.

I've never had Acorn squash before but it was awesome, fork tender, sweet from brown sugar, great flavor. The leftovers will be made into some mashed acorn sqaush tonight.

The fried green tomatoes, well what can you say, they are just so delectable, especially with some ranch!

You had me with the chicken. THEN...you added fried green tomatoes. HEAVEN!

I've got to try that chicken, that's the second time I've seen that. It looks super, then the crisp on those green tomatoes, Wow!

Your plate looks so good!! I love everything you prepared. If you can get Latin or Caribbean produce, check out Boniato. It's like a sweet potato, and it is delicious!!

I like a smoker fried but i'd hit that hard!

Your plate looks so good!! I love everything you prepared. If you can get Latin or Caribbean produce, check out Boniato. It's like a sweet potato, and it is delicious!!

Thanks Toni, you are too kind. I will look for that stuff, I love trying new things. A friend introduced me to yucca a few years back, which i love. But From what you describe and the brief research i did Boniato looks awesome.
I like a smoker fried but i'd hit that hard!
Well the UDS is finally getting painted. Took it apart on saturday, applied a rust converter sunday, primed with 2000 degree paint today, hopefully first cot tomorrow, then start on the flames :heh:

Back