• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thermometer troubles

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Let me set the mood for ya......................Its sleeting/overcast outside. Lookin for some real comfort food. Decide to make a meatloaf. Its been in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours at 350F. I check the temp with my trusty Accu-rite thermometer from Wal*Mart and stick the probe in about 1" and it reads 148F. The further I push the probe ino the meatloaf, the higher the reading goes. Whats up with that? How can I tell which temp is accurate?
Let me also say that my B-day is in a few weeks and I already told the wife I want a Thermapen. Maybe that will take care of my troubles.

Could it just be a time issue. Perhaps it is slow in registering the temps?

As far as the Thermapen is concerned, only a red one will totally solve your problems.

check the calibration of the thermometer
32 degrees for ice water
212 for boiling water

your meatloaf was done more towards the bottom. the heat in your oven comes from the bottom.

even a thermopen will show a temperature differential through the meat as you go from the outer layers to the middle.

it always makes me laugh when people say their bge dome thermometer is broken because it doesn't read zero when their egg is cold. :roll:

Plus actual junction where an electronic probe mesures is not in the tip. It uses a calculation of the resistance in a junction (TC) or a diode (RTD). They are embedded (potted) in probe tube. That is why the fail if you exceed their limit. Junction or diode opens up.

check the calibration of the thermometer
32 degrees for ice water
212 for boiling water
Sorry, I meant to post its calibrated properly, though its probably become un-calibrated lately. I bought the first one 3 months ago and I'm on my 3rd one, glad Wal*Mart has such an easy return policy.

If Id gone thru that many..

Id go looking for a different brand to buy...

really? what model is it?

i have four of these
kdig1b.jpg

it is one of the instant read thermometers that takes like 10 sec. to read then never does zero in on a temp. Just gotta decide which color thermapen to get.

it is one of the instant read thermometers that takes like 10 sec. to read then never does zero in on a temp. Just gotta decide which color thermapen to get.

huh? take it back once again and order a thermapen

I use a digital for smoker temp but for accurate temps in my meat I rely on my analog thermometer. I asked for a thermapen for Christmas but the local cook shop didn't have them. I don't know why the link to themapen on my list was not used! =) But, until I have my therma pen I'm sticking with my analog.

We all know that a RED Thermapen is the fastest to run the battery down. So I would get a RED one and let Sledneck make the final call using his far superior BLUE thermapen.

Would be the way to go if you can't get a Blue for yourself.

He calls it Camo, Tries to hide the fact it is Rainbow colored. He picked it up at one of the many ralley's/parades he goes to. Fits in his dolphin shorts waistband. Goes by the name Bubba I think.

Quit buying that Wal_Mart made in China junk......

I am looking at the Thremoworks new new one, MTC... faster than the Thermapen, and made by the same people....

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

It is waterproof, and you can order the probes as you need them, they even have a 2 second probe, compared to the 3-4 second stated response time for the hand held Thermapen, any color . . . . .

Do a search for MTC and there should be a couple of threads for them, one with a nice writeup and his test results.... faster than any color of Thermapen...... red, blue, or ?????

Back