It is worth calling around for, I was quoted between 50 and 200 bucks depending on what i wanted IE 1500 degree protection or basic. A basic powder coat will hold up fine at the temps we run on the drum though and it looks great. Unfortunately I had to move before I could get it done so I am now looking for a place here to do it.

Cool THx I'll ask my artist's brother he works at a body shop.

First UDS

Hello All,
I've been lurking around here for a while, long enough to get motivated and build my first UDS. I am hooked to say the least. Here is a picture of my first build. Pretty standard design from what I've read.

Attachments

• orange pork barrel.jpg
    orange pork barrel.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 734
Thank you Sir! May start my second one this weekend. Believe it or not I'm on the hunt for an SS barrel

Actually, I think of my little collection of smokers, this one may be my favorite which my wife thinks is pretty ironic given the cost....

Hanasdaddyo, is that a SWM lid? I can't see from the picture if the lid you have there creates a good seal.

Very nice job!!

It's a Weber kettle lid, hammered out, with a fireplace gasket held by Rutland cement and 4 corner brackets screwed on the inside to keep it from sliding off. I'm a property manager in a university town so i snag abandoned grills when i spot em. This one was in the sun long enough to turn it gray!

$$ wise, I'd say about 50. The weber thermo rang up as a $10 dryer vent at the hardware store, so that, the paint, the ball valve and some fasteners were all I had to buy. The rest I cabbaged onto or had in stock.

I did buy a MIG welder today but you cant really count that. I plan to amortize it across several more of these things!

That isnt a bad idea. I wish I could remember where I saw the things I am thinking of. It was such a simple little thing that would work for thermos and temp probes

This may be the item you are thinking about. It works for me.

PICT0002-9.jpg

$$ wise, I'd say about 50. The weber thermo rang up as a $10 dryer vent at the hardware store, so that, the paint, the ball valve and some fasteners were all I had to buy. The rest I cabbaged onto or had in stock.

I did buy a MIG welder today but you cant really count that. I plan to amortize it across several more of these things!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Gettin closer on my build. Seasoned with canola oil. Just need to mount my grate and get a lid:D Fire basket complete.
I'm fairly confident there was no liner or coating in my barrel. It was used for wiper fluid. I was starting to get some rusting inside which tells me it's bare metal. I hit it with a flapper wheel and it really just shined it up inside but was still the same black color. I've already done a 6 hour burn on it. Any one else used a barrel containing wiper fluid?

Last edited:
Love the UDS, I got mad props on my 15 hr. whole pork shoulder. The family was loving it, there wasn't an unfinished sandwiched all night. First cook on the UDS and I was nervous as fark. I fed about 20 of my family which was awesome and they told me it was better than the pulled pork they got at the local bbq :-D and I got leftovers to take to work which is cool.If you build it they will come :clap2:

Lump vs. Briqs in UDS

I made the switch to lump today and am having some trouble with my temps. First off...lump is much hotter than the briqs! I also find that it heats much faster but also responds to decreases much quicker too.

My normal setup to keep 250 is 1 intake open (1 inch) and ball valve about 1/8 inch with full weber daisy wheel exhaust. That setup had me at 320 on lump early this morning at 50 outside!

After fighting for a while I think I have it figured out. Now I'm about 90% open on the hole intake and 50% on the exhaust wheel. It's amazing how much playing with the exhaust makes a difference with lump...never like that when I use briq's.

Anyone have any experiences like this or tips to working with this stuff?

probe hole

If you have a decent hardware store close by, go look in the little sliding drawers marked lamp parts. they have these small sleeves with the nuts and even caps. I used compression fittings for probe holes but the i.d. was to small for multiple leads and/or probes with any kind of crimp or bend in them. I replaced them the lamp sleeves. my .02.

Attachments

• probe hole.jpg
    probe hole.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 769
Hello All,
I've been lurking around here for a while, long enough to get motivated and build my first UDS. I am hooked to say the least. Here is a picture of my first build. Pretty standard design from what I've read.

Nice drum man! I really like the orange paint. Have fun with your new smoker:clap2:

Back