First UDS Build

Diver

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Found 55 gallon drums for 5.00 and got a chance to build over the weekend. Big thanks to all, especially Norco. I used the step by step guide and it worked like a champ. Here are a few pics...ok a lot of pics... sorry :oops:

setting up
SDC10199.jpg

Third Drum added to the mix
SDC10203.jpg

We have fire
SDC10204.jpg

Son got home from work and started his
SDC10209.jpg

more fire
SDC10211.jpg

Rain delay. Used the time for a little smoking in an older rig under shelter
SDC10216.jpg

SDC10217.jpg

SDC10215.jpg

after the wire wheel the next day
SDC10218.jpg

All valves and thermometer added
SDC10220.jpg

4 hrs into the seasoning run...holding tight at 200
SDC10229.jpg

Made real coal basket tonight...ready to rock!
img033.jpg

Makes me want to go build my third, but that would never get past the master planner (wife). She protested the first, what really unhappy the second....

I'm happy with the two....

RMR

Thanks everyone. I originally picked up the extra drum as a "just in case I screw up" drum. I ended up giving my son the option to build his own. He is 15 and loves to cook with me. We basically have 4 hobbies; bbq, hunting, fishing and golf. We have bbq'd in just about every situation. Being in eastern NC, we do whole hog bbq several times a year for larger crowds but primarily do smaller meals at home. He has always loved to be a part of it. As for his UDS plans, I forsee extra money for the flame paint job and he says he wants to just have it for future cooks to impress his friends and hopes to have room for it at college.

BBQ Cabbage. Here's a shot on the smoker. My daughter was upset she wasn't included in the pics so also added shots of my other full time help. :oops:

SDC10213-1.jpg

DSC04231.jpg

SDC10048.jpg

Ah, that's what I thought. Never tried that, but now I've got another item to try. Thanks

Back