Pork butt rest?

QandBrew

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have a small 4 lb butt on the UDS right now. Is it necessary to rest it in a cooler for an hour after cooking or can I just let it rest on the cutting board for a half hour or so and then pull it? Thanks.

The longer rest period is pretty important, IMHO. I always try to rest in a cooler or under a blanket for a couple of hours. Almost every time I've "rushed it" I've been a bit disappointed in the results. But, as always, YMMV!

A longer rest is best. It'll shred a lot better too.

Remember, with bbq there's a lotta ins, lotta outs, but if you will it, it is no dream!

I have done both and have had butts pulled early be just as good as holding. Don't worry if you pull early.

I think that even if you pull it straight out of the smoker, IF IT'S DONE, it will still pull fine. The only thing you'll notice is a lot more juice escaping. I just pull it in a pan, though and just toss the meat in the juices so they get distributed back in among the meat.

This happens often with vending for us. Sometimes we can't wait and the butt just needs pulled because demand calls for it. It all works out.

A longer rest is certainly a good thing so the juices naturally distribute themselves. Kind of like cutting into a hot steak right off the grill vs letting it rest, but not as critical I don't think.

I prefer the longer rest and I like to let the butt cool to 175F or so, then pull. If it takes an hour, or more, than so be it. But, as Wampus says, if you cook it right, you can pull right away.

I think that even if you pull it straight out of the smoker, IF IT'S DONE, it will still pull fine. The only thing you'll notice is a lot more juice escaping. I just pull it in a pan, though and just toss the meat in the juices so they get distributed back in among the meat.

This happens often with vending for us. Sometimes we can't wait and the butt just needs pulled because demand calls for it. It all works out.

A longer rest is certainly a good thing so the juices naturally distribute themselves. Kind of like cutting into a hot steak right off the grill vs letting it rest, but not as critical I don't think.

This. I've pulled plenty after a short rest that have been great. Just loosely tent with foil to retain heat (which will actually leave your bark crunchy), and pull it, then mix your juices back in.

Gonna rest for 1 hour in a cooler this time. Next time I will go no rest. This is my first butt so I guess I will continue to try different things until I find what works for me (and get better at this new obsession of mine)

Back