The Q-Shelter build is going down this weekend!

I don't post much, but man I gotta tell you, that's going to be a fantastic place to hang out in the summer breezes.

I've got plans to do something similar on my deck this summer.

I'd probably call it the Grillin Pavilion....

757d754028e964ef1ddf49595477338a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks all!
I hope it goes well, I am far from a carpenter and I am making it up as I go along.

I have high hopes though

John, about that fence. Is it some kind of prefab? I need to do something like that soon.

Your Build is looking great so far.
Thanks.

Love the idea and can't wait to see the finished product. Upon first cursory glance, how is the structure going to be anchored to the ground?

Robert

Love the idea and can't wait to see the finished product. Upon first cursory glance, how is the structure going to be anchored to the ground?

Robert

Great question!

I have ground anchors for all four corners that will tie to the posts

So....uh.....ummmm.....uh..... I think you need a better foundation than those blocks. One for downward load. But especially for upward. You’re effectively building a sail

The same thought crossed my mind, but I am no builder, so I will leave that to those that are.

foundation

So....uh.....ummmm.....uh..... I think you need a better foundation than those blocks. One for downward load. But especially for upward. You’re effectively building a sail

Maybe the posts/blocks are set in cement a couple of feet deep ?

Maybe the posts/blocks are set in cement a couple of feet deep ?

There’s no way to embed those blocks in concrete. Besides we can see the bottom. In addition those blocks do not have mechanical attachment to the posts, the posts just fit into an indent. Even if the blocks were embedded there is zero uplift resistance.

As you’ve started to suggest the correct tie down is a foundation 18-24” deep with hold down post anchors embedded. Those anchors are then bolted to the posts. They also sell bases that get anchored into the foundation then bolted to the post. Both provide uplift capacities.

This configuration is almost as bad as it can be. The building and the fence effectively stop wind that blows in the front from escaping. This increases the pressure upward exponentially. Without a fence or building it is still a sail and needs holddowns, but those enclosures really hurt.

Things are built like this all the time and survive for a long time. However, when that gust comes the results can be not pretty. I’ve seen pergolas without roofs picked up and moved - I am assuming this will have a solid roof.

Last edited:
When I have built similar shed roof shelters I used 6 X 6 treated post and direct buried them 30% of their overall length with 3 to 4 bags of post pix for each post. Then all rafters/beams are through bolted into the post with at least 3 - 1/2" or 5/8" bolts. Use
Joist hangers and/or H25's on the rest of the rafters and/or purlins for wind load based on your design.

As AUswimKC said you currently are building a sail here.

Back