• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

i've been inspired! whole hog for a B'Day!

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
i've always wanted to cook a whole hog, but i only have WSM's.well, i shouldn't say only, i'm LUCKY to have WSM's.

cowgirls post has me thinking, i could do that. a cinderblock pit that is, prolly n ot cook as well though....

but anyway, i did some searches and didn't really find too much other than time or temp.

first question, what is the bottom of the cinderblock pit, cowgirl? i llike your injection and seasoning choice!

next is, tips, tricks, to cooking whole hog? should i buy myrons book?

any insight is appreciated.

And the obsession begins...LOL...:twisted:

I have never done a pig in cinder block (I have seen it done) the person did not use anything. simply had two small fire going under the pig and made it happen.

Instead of buying a book, there is tons of knowledge and friendly folks here. Save the book money for beverages cause you'll need a couple few people to hang with you, considering how large of a hog you do.

When I did mine, I keep it simple. Monitoring the pit and meat temp (after 4 hours) and letting the magic happen.

What wood are you planning to use?

Yup.^^ Controled heat under shoulders and hams. Just do what Cowgirl says and you'll be fine. It's a fun cook.

thanks guys. my biggest issue will be i think is where to set it up. on the lawn ain't gonna fly, so i was thinking my patio. but it's concrete pavers and i A) don't want to ruin them either or B)i seem to remember a few episodes being discussed here where charcoal chimneys took off like rockets when lit directly on concrete for some reason.
any ideas?

thanks guys. my biggest issue will be i think is where to set it up. on the lawn ain't gonna fly, so i was thinking my patio. but it's concrete pavers and i A) don't want to ruin them either or B)i seem to remember a few episodes being discussed here where charcoal chimneys took off like rockets when lit directly on concrete for some reason.
any ideas?
For safety's sake, It should go on the grass. You can grow more later. A thick bed of sand might help save the grass, since heat travels up.

Back