Who builds their own smokers

Who makes your bbq pit?

• You

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Someone you don't know

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters
ModelMaker said:
I designed and built the infamous EDS (Ed's Drum Smoker). It's working really well. It has it's own idiosyncrasies that I'm enjoying finding and making adjustments to.
Quick question to NORCOREDNECK. I just sent my santa list out, one of my requests was a Weber lid. I've looked around alot and can't find just a lid. Where did you find it? And secondly I hope it fits better than it looks. Does it seal around the drum lip ok?
ModelMaker
post pics!

This topic interests me because

I have thought about building a smoker, which I need like a hole in the head. BUT..without pictures, you ain't got nothin' to discuss. I have built a smoker, so I got no picures. Those that have, let's see 'em!

ModelMaker said:
Quick question to NORCOREDNECK. I just sent my santa list out, one of my requests was a Weber lid. I've looked around alot and can't find just a lid. Where did you find it? And secondly I hope it fits better than it looks. Does it seal around the drum lip ok?
ModelMaker

I know this was for Norco but I used my weber lid on my barrel last night. It will sit on top of the barrel and cover it but it isn't wide enough to fit snuggly around the top of the barrel. Worked fine though. Very minimal amount of smoke escapes out of the side. Smoked 2 turkeys on the top grate with no problems.

If I was sure how to do it I could post from an earlier thread titled
".50 cent tour of the EDS". If you search threads started by ModelMaker you could dig it up.
Today is not the day to spend time figuring it out. I have a new computer and a new camera and soon will get the two of them together.
ModelMaker

Here's my barrel with the weber lid in action. Still not much smoke escaping.

Attachments

• holdingtemp.jpg
    holdingtemp.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
  • weberlid1.jpg
    weberlid1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 97
  • weberlid2.jpg
    weberlid2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 96
Bought a BSKD, did the mods ( larger opening to the smoke chamber, damper, packing quilt on the upright, K-wool wrap on the firebox) myself. Still hoping (praying the O.L. will let me) for a bigger & better brand/model.
Dave

Bigmista said:
Here's my barrel with the weber lid in action. Still not much smoke escaping.

Hey BigMista...do you get as much sick enjoyment as I do when taunting the neighbors with the aroma of hickory smoke?

I pull the pit out of the garage and after about three hours the neighborhood starts to gather in my driveway saying, "Man, that smells good. I wish I had some BBQ" or "Smoked brisket? Never had it. Is it good?"

All of the questions are geared toward me offering a donated take-home plate.

Gup

TexasGuppie said:
Hey BigMista...do you get as much sick enjoyment as I do when taunting the neighbors with the aroma of hickory smoke?

I pull the pit out of the garage and after about three hours the neighborhood starts to gather in my driveway saying, "Man, that smells good. I wish I had some BBQ" or "Smoked brisket? Never had it. Is it good?"

Gup
smoked brisket you say? never had any is it good?

"Reverse flow" is a design that puts the firebox and the chimney on the same end...a full-length baffle in the smoke chamber forces the smoke/heat to run the length of the chamber and and back to the chimney. When done correctly it evens out the heat in the chamber and so you have fewer hot/cold spots.

Ben Lang is probably best known for this design (www.pigroast.com) though I'm seeing more and more one-off cookers and a couple of other manufacturer's using this feature.

TexasGuppie said:

Gup

My smokers are on a second floor a second floor balcony in the front of the building so the smoke goes up and over the top of the building so nobody smells it but me. It's the only way I can get away with having smokers in an apartment bldg.

Back