• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the best lump coal brand?

I used to use RO or Wicked Good until I tried Ozark Oak. A bit pricey to have it shipped but I think worth it.

I live in Houston and believe it or not I couldn't find any stores that carried Ozark oak so I called Ozark oak company headquarters and asked the man for the names of the stores that carried their brand in my area. What I learned from him was there are several small businesses that sell ozark oak lump coal to restaurants in the Houston area.the Ozark the employee told me that the individuals companies from houston have Ozark fill generic named brand bags by the pallet and they come pick them up and sell them to the restaurants in my area. So just because you can't find an Ozark retailer in your town does not mean you can't buy it. Call the company and ask them about retailers in your area. The employees that I have spoken to in the past are down to earth and easy to talk to. I pay $17 for 20 lb and $10 for 10 lbs. they told me price is determined by the independent distributor. I hope this helps .

I like Cowboy Lump best cost to amount of good size chunks.

I have used every other locally available lump. RO is almost all shake. I can get a hold of BGE 20 miles away but $ for gas is 8$ more.

I was talking about the brand ozark oak lump charcoal i don't know much about lazzari

I've long since switched to briquettes (finally got fed up with the inconsistent quality control of lump) but used RO red bags for a long enough time to say I liked it. Didn't love it, but liked it.

I don't think there is a "best" lump out there. Too many brands/bags have such inconsistent QC that its almost like gambling on what's gonna be in the bag. I eventually got tired of the risk taking and made the switch to Stubb's briquettes. Have yet to look back and regret that decision.

To me, the best lump is packed into little pillow shaped black pieces. :thumb:

My local Menards was having a sale on RO $4.99 a bag with a $2 rebate I filled my cart and quickly left. Will probably be heading back today for more...

I use wicked good weekend warrior and found the long burn times make up for the upfront price. It burns almost twice as long as Royal Oak so the back end cost equals out. I haven't gotten any rocks or foreign material in any of the bags I have used.

I used to use Royal Oak but i have gotten mixed results. Some bags were fantastic but you could tell scrap wood was used. Some bags were terrible with rocks, insulation, and scrap wood.

I haven't tried enough different types to even attempt to identify the "best" lump. Fortunately, that isn't a problem....Ozark Oak works so well for me that I don't have a need for anything else.

From what I've heard, Ozark and Maple leaf are both outstanding. I recently picked up a 40 lb bag of nature glo from berger bros charcoal in chicago and am very happy with it (the guy who sold it to me said that its RO in different packaging).

I usually get my Ozark Oak at Harp's grocery when I'm getting the rest of the groceries. The price did go up about $1/bag since last year I've noticed. Guess I'll have to hope for a sale and stock up versus buying as needed.

I like Cowboy Lump best cost to amount of good size chunks.

I have used every other locally available lump. RO is almost all shake. I can get a hold of BGE 20 miles away but $ for gas is 8$ more.

My experience exactly. I bought 6 bags of RO and am looking forward to getting to the last bag, I use lump for grilling, pecan wood for smoking with a handful of lump thrown in every now and then as needed.

Used to get Cowboy at Menards in Iowa, haven't run into it here in Oklahoma, I'll be on the lookout for Ozarks after reading this post though.

Repost from prior.

My local ACE doesn't carry any lump except Cowboy and a store brand.

Last edited:
Does it really matter?? What I mean is the worst Lump is far superior to the best Briquettes!

Back