• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dry brisket again, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys for all the help, I'll do another soon and try watching my time and resting it longer.

IGOLF2 may have the best suggestion. Just make sure your guests are well lubricated. Enough lubrication and they'll eat anything.

Thanks,

Lubrication is good for the stripper too.

If you smoke your brisket at high enough temperature to ensure that the zone around the meat stays at 230 or so, the fat on top begins to crackle and pop and essentially mop that brisket with a FILM of grease that bastes it continuously. When fat is on the bottom, the fat film is still carried upward by natural heat movement, although less efficiently, but you get an added benefit that your flat typically cooks faster (thereby getting done closer to the point’s time) in this position with minimal drying. The closer you try to get to 212 the odds are at some point your brisket will STOP in the process for a moment until the temp gets above 212 again. Target House temp at 270, and smoker temp average of 240s give or take 10 degrees either way and you have NO problem... less drying too.

When you don’t open the pit for ANYTHING you ensure that ZONE keeps its integrity longer. Basically the environment your brisket is in is a moist, ever so slightly pressurized, greasy and lightly smoky and stabilized heated zone. The meat as well, its temperature serves to combat the zone as well. This is why UDS and Eggs put out some pretty good Q. Essentially your smoker is like a huge foil tent when you don’t peek and just let things be…. Not as aggressive as foil, but pretty good.

So basically this is the crux of doing a brisket "right"?

Yes - what wonderful prose. But therein is why packers are so much easier...

I was speaking of packers there.

Higher mass.... more room for different variables.

the Mop thing was intended for open pits where the temp of the top portion of meat was subjected to dry cool air all the time.

Outside of this

The benefit of a mop (if made strong) is the introduction of flavors and the reaction those flavors have on the meat... however the application of the mop, even while heated, will disturb the surrounding environment to a significant extent to reduce cooking time and subject the meat to even more drying (if smoking at low low temps)

In essence, you betta have the mother of all mops if you think your'e gonna improve things.

Adjust your rub and the mop is not needed even for the second factor (taste).

This is for brisket though, I am speaking for brisket.

Yes - what wonderful prose. But therein is why packers are so much easier...

I was speaking of packers there.

Higher mass.... more room for different variables.

the Mop thing was intended for open pits where the temp of the top portion of meat was subjected to dry cool air all the time.

Outside of this

The benefit of a mop (if made strong) is the introduction of flavors and the reaction those flavors have on the meat... however the application of the mop, even while heated, will disturb the surrounding environment to a significant extent to reduce cooking time and subject the meat to even more drying (if smoking at low low temps)

In essence, you betta have the mother of all mops if you think your'e gonna improve things.

Adjust your rub and the mop is not needed even for the second factor (taste).

This is for brisket though, I am speaking for brisket.

If my smoker isn't big enough to house an entire packer what is the correct way to cut one so I can put one piece on one rack and one on the other?

If my smoker isn't big enough to house an entire packer what is the correct way to cut one so I can put one piece on one rack and one on the other?

I think Thirdeye said it... trim the fat layers between the point and the flat to such an extent that there is fat left on both portions.

maybe a little more favoring the flat.

Also, of course there are some who don't know about brisket because of their regional areas. In other words, your brisket may be the best in you have ever had but then that is subject to what you have had.

That was my problem when I first started. I had never had brisket until the first one I cooked. I had absolutely nothing to go by. I ran across a post about a seared brisket. You sear it over high heat then cook it in a foil pan and eventually cover it. It turned out tender and juicy, but I was missing the great bark and smokey flavor that I wanted. That's when I started trying to get that level of tenderness and moisture without the searing, the pans and the foil. Being in the area I'm in and havig to work mostly with flats, it's been a long road. But I can now turn out consistently good brisket. Or at least good to me since I have still not had any other brisket than my own. I was coming to Houston this weekend for the Mötley Crüe show, but had to change my plans. I was looking forward to trying to find some good brisket while there.

Once removed from the foil my internal temp dropped to 170ish again so I left it on without the foil until I reached 194°

I am curious why you did this. It was already up to 194 and it probed easily, so why put it back in to cook more? That is probably what dried it out. As long as it is above 140 when you take it out of the foil, slice it and enjoy!

Injecting and some extra fat it the fat cap was trimmed of can't help, either.

Now I'm just waiting on the rebuttal of the smoke rings being "photo shopped". Are they doctored? Will he admit it? Tune in for the latest... :lol:

I am curious why you did this. It was already up to 194 and it probed easily, so why put it back in to cook more? That is probably what dried it out. As long as it is above 140 when you take it out of the foil, slice it and enjoy!

I think what the OP was talking about was the initial temp reading he got of 194 when it was foiled. Don't know what causes it, but you do get these elevated temp readings on briskets when they are foiled, that wander back down once you remove the foil. Don't know what causes this, I've always wondered. My guess is the layer of hot steam over the meat has a lot to do with it.

It sounded like it wasn't probe tender at this point, it wasn't till later that it was. Course I'm speaking for the OP, but reading back through his post I believe that is what happened.

I held pretty close to 250° all day and foiled at 170 (about 6hrs into the cook). After just a short time in the foil the internal temp read 194° so I pulled the foil and put her back on the fire to toughen the bark just a little.

Once removed from the foil my internal temp dropped to 170ish again so I left it on without the foil until I reached 194° and it probed fairly easy (should it be as easy to probe as a pork butt?) She seemed to hold in at 170ish for a long time before finally climbing up to temp. Total cook time 10-1/2 hrs or so.

I cook mostly flats and have always foiled 4-5 hours into the smoke. I leave the flats in the foil in their juice when resting. I may be reading your post wrong or not have enough info---did you refoil after setting the bark to let it rest? I believe if you removed the flat from the first foiling without letting it rest to absorb some of the juice and put it back on the smoker that the juice was already gone. Does that make sense?

Now I'm just waiting on the rebuttal of the smoke rings being "photo shopped". Are they doctored? Will he admit it? Tune in for the latest... :lol:

Whatever he does... the ring is perfect

there is another option... LOL I have seen this done with flats...

the person probes and probes and probes but misses the time period when its just right .... the next time he probes it has given up all its moisture, which makes it grab the probe more resistence wise and then the chef continues to cook and cook thinking he has yet to reach the right level of doneness... which of course has long since passed.

the person probes and probes and probes but misses the time period when its just right .... the next time he probes it has given up all its moisture, which makes it grab the probe more resistence wise and then the chef continues to cook and cook thinking he has yet to reach the right level of doneness... which of course has long since passed.
I think this is what might have happened to me. Since I was working and cooking, I may have missed that point when I should have pulled it. Does not matter, since I learned something from the experience.

Whatever he does... the ring is perfect

No chit.

All the brisket I have eaten until about a year ago was gassed. They were pretty good too, (gasp, who said that?). When I tried to BBQ them on the pit, I had all kinds of problems.

The best one I did myself, I fell asleep and left it on too long, but the coals were almost out when I took it off. Since the fire was almost dead and it had been on so long, we just went ahead and shredded it and started eating. That baby was delicious! The bark was too thick but the inner meat was heavenly. I don't know what happened and have cooked two since with less than stellar results.

Even the good ones though, they dry out right away it seems. No matter how good and juicy they are, after slicing or shredding, they seem to dry out before you can eat a sandwich. I have MUCH better luck using chuck roasts when I want to roast beef.

#edit#
Every time I get to thinking about brisket. I see this in my head. It's really interfering with my game.

sadcow-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Temp climbed to 194° rather fast but it still felt pretty firm when probed. My thought was put it back to firm up the bark and finish cooking, It could have been over cooked already by then??? I'm sure I overcooked it, just not sure when I passed the done mark.

I hear finger nail polish works pretty good too. Gives a bit of a tang in the meat but it sure is purty!!!
I'm deeply hurt. :icon_frow Can't a brother get a break! :-D

All photos are official bbq-brethren UDS approved unaltered or enhanced photographs although the fingernail polish thing is good to know. :lol:

I don't know why, although I tell my wife it is a sign of a true bbq master, that I get a good ring on briskets? Both have been rubbed with Montreal Steak Season one. This last one was smoked with hickory and I don't remember what i used on the 1st but both have a good smoke ring, this last one is deep red. Not sure why but I'll take it!

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 102

I think you nailed it right here. After all the replies I think it was probably done much sooner and I either did not probe soon enough or just missed the time when it was done.

So, start probing when and how often?

Should it actually probe as easily as a pork butt?

I start probing at 5 hours, I am doing a high heat system similar to Saiko, so I am expecting 6 hours as a guideline. I got fooled the last time I think. For the record, my first brisket was really good, a little too salty for me. It did stay juicy and was really good the next day on sandwiches.

I think the ring might be because you are using Montreal Steak seasoning, which has mystery spices in it.

Back