Making Prime Rib?

raco232

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I love to eat prime rib in the restaurants and was wanting to make it at home. I need to know how to do it and what cut of meat to use. Is it rib eye or what? Kroger has rib eye for $4.99 lb this week, choice grade. Anyway, doesn't matter on the price, I am just a fan of the stuff and need some direction on how to create such a wonderful hunk of meat.

For starters, you will need at least a 5 pound prime grade rib roast.

2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder

Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.

Get your grill/smoker to 350 - 375 degrees F.

Combine salt, pepper and granulated garlic powder and rub down the meat with it. Place the roast in a pan (aluminum or whatever you have) with the fatty side up and the rib side on the bottom.

Cook for 1 hour.

Wrap in foil and move the meat to a warming cooler wrapped in a blanket. Or, just preheat your oven to 200 F and turn it off. Then, put the foil wrapped pan in the oven.

Leave the meat there for at least 3 hours. 30 to 40 minutes before serving, put the roast back in your smoker (or just use your oven) to reheat the roast.

The internal temperature should be around 145 degrees F.

Remove from the cooler and let rest for 10 minutes before carving into servings. De-fat the au jus and use it as a sauce.

Last edited:
Prime rib is easy to make. Look up Alton Brown's recipe. He discusses how to age it for a day or two and the cooking process. Made it a couple of times and its really awesome

I have used my WSM a couple times to make it. Take out the water pan, let the cooker get to 300-325, and cook for a couple hours. It's at rare at 125, and it will continue to cook and raise about 5 degrees after you take it off, so allow for that. There are tons of rub recipes online, find one that looks good and use it. It is like a pork butt, very easy to cook with great results.

Buy a bone in Prime Rib. Even if you have to buy one that is cut and tied back together.

You want to do this at about 250. Time will depend on the weight of the roast. If you have a temp probe that you can leave in the meat, do it. Even the kind you get at the supermarket will do.

Pull the meat at internal temp of no more than 130 and wrap in foil for thirty minutes.

It should be a perfect Med Rare all the way through.

Good luck. Send samples to me and photos to everyone else.

I made Prime Rib at home last Christmas and it was a very big hit with family and friends but the Yorkshire pudding I made to go with it was also a big hit.

Google Yorkshire Pudding for many different recipes.

I made one last Christmas on a kenmore gas grill with a rotisserie and it was phenomenal. I don't know if I'd smoke it - it's not the type of cut that needs help with smoke. I had the butcher "cradle" it and then took it home and seasoned it and let it sit overnight. I stuffed garlic and thyme between the ribs and main meat. I've attached a picture. It cooked for about 3 hours and I took it off at 115 or 120. This was a 19 pound 7 rib roast for 26 people.

My next post will have the pic. I need to DL it off FB.

Here's a bit of the pron from my last prime rib, as promised:

Me showing off the spit:
4216592554_3c490b3b2e_b.jpg

The finished product. Note that this started at 19 lbs:

4215817183_a4a9d9cb11_b.jpg

Slicing it. The pieces finished out medium rare to rare, with a very small medium slice at each end. Perfect for me, not so much for my BIL who likes his well-done. Ha!

4216575822_d93e882e1b_b.jpg

The finished sliced product. Ribs were awesome:

4215796403_e7fb51fd61_b.jpg

The reaction to the finished sliced product:

4215851409_1168450288_b.jpg

Everyone waiting for the food:

4215788451_85d5784df7_b.jpg

The huskers's roast is very nice indeed. I too like mine on the rotisserie. Watch the internal temp very closely. The easiest way to ruin a roast like that is to overcook it. I recommend seasoning the outside much, much heavier with a simple rub. I use just salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, adding seasoning thru the cook to form a crust.
There are a lot of methods for cooking rib roast, one of witch i'm saving for the dead of winter, where you put the roast in a hot oven, then turn off the heat after so many minutes. I forget the details, but i read them on line somewhere. My niece did one like that and it came out perfect.

My method is similar to Boshizzle, but different enough to note.

I make a paste out of garlic, Rosemary and kosher salt and rub the roast with that and let it sit for about an hour. Then I cook it at 275 until it hits 125 - 130 internal. Then I let it rest for at least three to for hours. I normally use my FEC-100 and rest it in there at 140 degrees, but Boshizzles oven rest method works well, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone who has responded! I really do appreciate all of the help and pictures. I did not know that it is really that relatively easy. I think the hardest part would be to find the cut of meat. Where I live, you have to drive some distance to find a butcher, but it looks like it will be well worth it. I sure am glad that I did find this web site a while back and to all those who respond to the questions. It is like one huge information source from real people with real life answers. Thank you all very much!!!

Just picked up a prime rib roast today, thanks to this thread.

I need to adjust my cooking plan since this thread was bumped. I wasn't planning nearly enough time to cook.

Thanks for starting the thread, and to the helpers....

Raco, I lived in Memphis for many years. Used a butcher off of summer and real close to 240. Bought my prime rib and standing rib roast from him. He was always extremely helpful and the prices were reasonable. I would call ahead and tell him what size I was looking for and he would cut and have it ready.
Good luck and let us know how it goes

I do a reverse sear on mine. I smoke it at 225 on the UDS until it reaches about 125 internal, wrap it in foil, and move my fire basket up to the grilling position and let it get very hot. I unwrap the roast and hit it with a hot sear for about 10 minutes or so to put a nice bark on it. It comes out pink straight through with no gray meat. If anyone wants their meat well-done (or ruined, as we call it in this house) you've got a hot grill to throw it on. It does take a lot of seasoning for a big piece of meat like this. I put fennel seed in my beef rubs, among other things.
IMGP5300.jpg

Back