Jesse James Cookoff - Kearney, MO

Nope not us. Todd, let me know what your thoughts are on the contest after you cook it please... facilities, attentiveness, awards, etc. Thanks and good luck!!

Nope not us. Todd, let me know what your thoughts are on the contest after you cook it please... facilities, attentiveness, awards, etc. Thanks and good luck!!

I've not heard good things, but we have friends there and I want to get a contest in that weekend before the Royal.

we aren't gonna make it. We've got two in a row then a week off then the royal. We need that week off.!

We'll be there. It's our favorite contest each year.

I don't know what you heard, but we always liked this contest. We don't do it now because of the long drive.

I don't know what you heard, but we always liked this contest. We don't do it now because of the long drive.

Just had three different people say that its poorly organized. As long as I can get my camper in without much hassle, I don't care.

we keep looking at this contest but it is not on our scheduel this year

york

I've never noticed poor organization but if we get our meat checked in by noon and have access to ice, water, and electricity we're good to go. I think the organizers leave the check-in area periodically to attend to other issues and I could see how chasing down a checker could be frustrating. After competing in Peculiar the last 2 years I know exactly how a poorly organized contest feels and we have yet to experience that feeling in Kearney.

The contest is held in a large open, spacious grass field. Ample parking is within a stones throw of every space and the team spaces are 20x30. And there is plenty of room to pitch a tent around the perimeter if so desired.

The contest is run in conjunction with the Jesse James Festival each year and there is a carnival, beer gardens, concert/dance, and various shows (i.e., lumberjack, puppet shows, etc.) held throughout the event. It is a very family friendly environment and the members of our team with kids like to bring the whole fam damily.

The environment is relaxed which is important for the all night Pig Party. It does seem to rain a little most years but the temperatures are perfect. Like most contests this one has grown every year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 teams there this year. They do get the Gov's Proclamation if that is important to you.

If you happen to get caught south of the parade route in town on Saturday morning after the parade starts, be prepared for a good 60+ minute delay.

To be fair, we are a bit biased about this contest. It was the birthplace of our team and remains a sentimental favorite. If you're in the neighborhood stop by for a cold one.

i am going to have to put this one next year contest scheduel

Cool! This will be a family event for me. We have some very dear friends in Kearney. They were my oldest son's foster parents. They absolutely love it when we bring BBQ. I'm expecting a very good time!

I've never been there but, I've heard this is a pretty good contest. I'ts just the wrong time of year for me.

Just had three different people say that its poorly organized. As long as I can get my camper in without much hassle, I don't care.

It was well organized when we were there. Is it still at the fairgrounds? Carnival, beer garden and BBQ contest.... we had a great time!:biggrin:

It was well organized when we were there. Is it still at the fairgrounds? Carnival, beer garden and BBQ contest.... we had a great time!:biggrin:

I think so. Good to know. Conflicting stories I guess. I'm not worried about it or I would have entered. Hoping for a great contest.

There is even a little vendor that shows up Saturday morning that has some great Biscuits & Gravy. We always had a good time every time we went. Except the time that we were almost blown away by an all night storm. Our Spicewine hummed along just fine but our tables were turned over, our charcoal was wet, we had some broken items and had quite a mess to clean up the next morning.

Do this one!! You won't be disappointed!!

Spice

Wow! I have never cooked this one but the perception of the contest varies WIDELY depending on who you ask. From "You won't be disappointed" to "thumbs down" with a little spitting thrown it. :lol:

We cooked it last year and thought is was fun! We didn't have any problems.
But we aren't doing is this year. We are doing Atchison KS instead where we are cooking and vending. We'll see how well that goes!!!

43 Teams

Grand - Pork Pullin Plowboys
RGC - T's Smokin Pit
3 - Midwest Scuba Q
4 - Stuttering Richs BBQ
5 - Park Ave Pork
6 - Mad Hogs and an Englishman
7 - Flower of the Flame
8 - Treat America
9 - BBQweiser
10 - Smokin' Elvises
14 - Pickled Pig

Turkey
1 - Daddy Q
2 - The Pickled Pig
3 - Ornery Brothers BBQ
4 - Red Buffalo BBQ
5 - Treat America
6 - Just Can't Stop Smoking
7 - Park Ave Pork
8 - Y We Q
9 - Flower of the Flame
10 - Right on Q

Chicken
1 - Bone Deep
2 - Treat America
3 - Midwest Scuba Q
4 - T's Smokin Pit
5 - BBQWeiser
6 - 33 Smokers
7 - Ultimate Tailgate
8 - Riley's Flamin Butts
9 - Smokin Elvises
10 - Hogs N Horns

Ribs
1 - Bocce N BBQ Boys
2 - Treat America
3 - Smokin Elvises
4 - Bone Deep
5 - Pork Pullin Plowboys
6 - Fat Boys BBQ
7 - Pork Ave Pork
8 - D Don's Pit Crew
9 - Phatty's
10 - Wood, Smoke, and Tears BBQ

Pork
1 - Midwest Scuba Q
2 - BBQWeiser
3 - Triple Fat Back BBQ
4 - Mad Hogs and an Englishman
5 - Stuttering Richs BBQ
6 - Next Years Winner
7 - Park Ave Pork
8 - The Pickled Pig
9 - Pork Pullin Plowboys

10 - Y We Q

Brisket
1 - Pork Pullin Plowboys
2 - Y We Q
3 - T's Smokin Pit
4 - Hogs N Horns
5 - Red Buffalo BBQ
6 - The Smoking Hills
7 - Flower of the Flame
8 - 33 Smokers
9 - Hillbilly BBQ
10 - Park Ave Pork

Nice win Todd, I know you have been hunting the grand champ very serious. stay on track and its yours.

Back