UDS intake pipe diameter

Freddy j

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
what size pipe & valve is everyone using on UDS intake? also, does one intake provide enough air to get the temp up to 325-350F?

Mine are 1", I believe most people use 3/4". One intake is probably not enough - I have 3, and usually shut one down once the pit is going and have one wide open and the other I adjust with a ball valve. I normally cook at higher heat - usually around 300. It's probably worth mentioning that my exhaust is 2" pipe with an elbow (always open), since exhaust figures in to air flow & pit temps.

3/4" pipe and valve. You will need at least 3 intakes. 1 with valve and 2 with caps

I think you'll find there are a million different combinations different people have had success with. From my reading on the forum, I think the majority of people have gone with 3 intakes of 3/4". That is what I went with and so far so good for me.

Good luck with your project. Please make sure to share pics when you finish.

I have 4 3/4 pipes. One has a ball valve and the others have caps. Only used it a couple times but if i remember right the last time it stayed at 250 exactly with just the ball valve being open. If I come across any more ball valves I'm gonna replace the nipple caps with it

If you're going to build a UDS, you absolutely have to read the UDS thread - you will learn a TON. And, don't over complicate it. The KISS principle applies here.

With four-3/4" clear openings I can easily reach 350°F, faster with more lit coals to start out with if that's where you want it to go.

Just finished mine a couple of weeks ago, and I went with 3-3/4, 2 caps and 1 ball valve. With 2 capped, and the ball valve open, I was holding steady at 225 with an outside temp of 20. With 2 open, I was at 325 and it was still slowly rising before I capped it.

I have 3 X 3/4" 2 nipples and one ball valve, I am about to build a new one with 1 3" intake.

with the vent at the bottom I think you may have some issues with ash clogging up your intake especially during long cooks.

One 1-1/2" intake with draft pipe, ball valve up high and easy to reach. I can reach 350* easy, run it half open it'll cruise 275* for hours, and my fire burns evenly. No need for 3+ separate intakes IMO, not to mention capped ones mounted down low just mean bending over which is a pain in the ass especially if your smoker is in a tight area. Like others said keep it simple man.

i use four holes. One is 1 1/4. the rest i took a grinder to and they are roughly 1 1/2x1 1/2 in weird shapes. It works for me.

I have four 3/4" air intakes and 90% of the time I smoke with 2 of them open.

I use 2" intake and exhaust, I don't like to bend down to adjust either.

3917862653_068b7cb2fb.jpg

3918645942_e70da07773.jpg

3918646370_eefc96e11f.jpg

Back