Terrible ribs

rlt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So my son asked Santa for a lifetime supply of ribs, I'm not kidding. I thought that I would get started on Christmas for him. Let me start by saying that I am not a rib guy; my experience is pretty limited with them. I have only cooked them four or five times. I went to the store and all they had were babyback ribs, so I bought them. I got up christmas morning and got the egg ready like I always do, and put them on after some putting some rub on them
2012-12-25_11-54-26_966_zpsf4fafbe8.jpg

The egg wanted to cook at 270-280 yesterday so I let it go. I cooked them for three hours and then foiled. this is what they looked like just before foiling
2012-12-25_14-55-49_383_zpsfa167d1e.jpg

I waited two hours and went out to check on them, they were done. At least I thought so. the bones came out when pulled on. This is one of the racks
2012-12-25_17-10-47_174_zps87f258f8.jpg

They were good when they were hot, I cut a rack up and left it on a tray for guests to serve themselves. After about thirty minutes in the open they were inedible. The meat toughened up to the point that I gave it to the dog.

My questions are, Is there an optimal internal temp for ribs? I tried to do 3-2-1, but I didn't want to overcook them, is this even a concern if they are foiled? Should I have prepared babybacks differently than any other ribs. I have cooked other types and they turned out much better than this. In the end my boy liked them so that is all that mattered, but I was disappointed. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

5 hours seems a little long for back ribs that have also been foiled... 4 hours unfoiled usually works for me, but each rack is different. Maybe you just got some tough ribs - that happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: rlt
I cook between 270-290 and am usually done 3 or 4 hours with no foiling. You can check for doneness by the bend test (pick up in middle and they hang down both sides or pick up one side and make a 90 angle). Or toothpick tender test or see if you can twist a bone.

You'll get there soon - keep at it !

way too long in foil for those cooking temps. They were probably just about done when you initially foiled them.
It does look like there was already some decent pull-back in that picture before foiling.

• Thanks
I cooked a few racks of BB yesterday on the old OTS 300 deg 3.5 hrs the pig honey was flowing. Closed the vents came back in 40 min to rib perfection. When you foiled those they where more than likely about perfect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMDdQ6ZoiKw"]Pitmaster T Series - Weep 'em and Read (Success with No Foil High Heat Ribs) - YouTube[/ame]

• Thanks
i would think on the egg you wouldn't have to foil. like the others have said, i think you over cooked them. the toothpick method works for me.

I did the same thing with some beef ribs on Xmas eve....those pups woulda been perfect after 2 hrs and I went 3 without even checking on them...stupid. And like you say , they were good when they came off the cooker , but they hardened up like leather in short order.
Live and learn , I guess.

I am no expert here but my ribs pull away from the bone almost an inch before they are done. I grab the rack in the middle with some tongs and if they almost bend into an inverted horseshoe they are done. Otherwise I take a toothpick and slide it into the meat between the bones in the thickest part. If a tooth pick slides in easy I say they are done.
Never give up as others said. Once in a while I get some tough ribs too.

Click on this link......located at the top of Q-Talk. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818. Go to post #5 and see if this helps.

• Thanks
Back