Wild Boar, Cowgirl and Keri !!

Garyclaw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
All three were involved in last nights dinner.

My Sister sent us some beautiful "Chop Ready" Wild Boar ribs from the Broken Arrow Ranch in Texas.

104_0002.jpg

104_0003.jpg

I brined them for a day in a gal. of water, 1/2c. salt and a cup of maple syrup. Put them on the drum at around 225* for 3 hrs. them foiled w/Apple juice for about an hour.

104_0004.jpg

Oh! I also injected them with an AJ solution and rubbed them with Big Bros. Pecan Rub (outstanding stuff). Also put some Bakers on the drum for the Cowgirl Taters:-D

104_0005.jpg

Took the taters off and let them cool, then skinned and into a bowl with bacon, gr. onions, garlic and an egg. mixed up and formed balls. I put them in the frig. to firm them up a little,
104_0014.jpg

Smooshed, and into an egg wash and breaded and fried up in the CI.

104_0018.jpg

Took the ribs off at 200* internal. I didn't know what to expect but they were very tender and juicy. Maybe too tender! The rib section just pulled away from the loin part:
104_0016.jpg

Plated with Cowgirls Taters (they were awesome) and Keri's Hog Apple Beans:
104_0019.jpg

So tender and tasty.
104_0022.jpg

My Thanks to Cowgirl, Keri and Big Brother Smoke for helping make this Tasty meal.:thumb:

I'd be all over that meal!

So, what did you think of the Wild Boar ribs overall flavor? I had gotten some from my butcher this summer and foiled them too. No gamey taste-I was told they trap the boars and grain feed them. Some place out of Denton TX.

I'd be all over that meal!

So, what did you think of the Wild Boar ribs overall flavor? I had gotten some from my butcher this summer and foiled them too. No gamey taste-I was told they trap the boars and grain feed them. Some place out of Denton TX.
I loved the taste. Not gamey, just.....a little different from farm raised. Plus the fact I brined and injected. I might not do both next time just to see if I can get a little more "wild" taste.:-D

Looks amazing!

I got some farmed boar spares this past summer at our local farmers market. I ended up over cooking them but man oh man were they tasty!

I loved the taste. Not gamey, just.....a little different from farm raised. Plus the fact I brined and injected. I might not do both next time just to see if I can get a little more "wild" taste.:-D

Looks great. I was going to ask you if the brining and injection are your normal routine, or if the Wild Bore needed it. I know some guys who went bore hunting a few weeks ago and have meat I could volunteer to cook.

The Broken Arrow web site said they "field harvest and field process" in a mobile unit and team, a shooter and a skinner with a USDA inspector. They're free range. Pertty tasty.

K, I had never done wild boar before, so I did a little digging here and still didn't know what to expect. With words like "tough" and "stinky" in some of the posts, I was thinking the worst. I do like brining normal chops, so next time I might just brine and rub. I was so excited to taste them ,I forgot to sauce them.:roll: They were still really good.

What a great looking feast Gary! You smooshed the taters just right too! :becky:
Hope you enjoyed them.. :-D

Back