I think women have a competitive edge period, if Cowgirl entered, she would win with 8000 votes. She could enter wool and win. If Tish enters that pulled pork in Make it Funky, she will win, I predict it.

I think I'd agree with Bob. Wonder what the probabilities of winning are for women vs. men. That would be too much work to figure out, but I would bet they're vastly different and we're at a huge disadvantage.

+ a bunch on this... It seems like once the momentum starts going a certain way, it's pretty tough to overcome. I suspect some people look at the poll results first and then follow the other lemmings off the cliff. :tsk:

Duh....... the landing is a lot softer if your the last one off the cliff. :thumb:

There is a link on the poll (small text) that lets you see the results so far before you have voted.

I wish I could disable it, but there is no option to do so.

I wish I wouldn't know that. But thanks for the info. Temptation is the devil. It's so much more fun not knowing.

sent from my android device using tapatalk

From my perspective:
I cook what I like eating. Turns out comfort food isn't so photogenic, at least not with my limited skills.
So I find myself going outside my normal cook, being more creative.
All do to the Throwdowns.

I look at these just like I look at comp BBQ. As long as I don't place DAL, and I have fun, learn something and grow in my cooking, then it was a successful competition.

There are a lot better cooks and a lot better photographers on here than I could ever hope to be, so there is always room for improvement on my end.
That is why I enter, and suggest that others do the same regardless of the level of skills ( cooking or photography) you may have.

When I vote, I vote with my stomach. Which dish speaks to me.

I think women have a competitive edge period, if Cowgirl entered, she would win with 8000 votes. She could enter wool and win. If Tish enters that pulled pork in Make it Funky, she will win, I predict it.

Gee, Bob... I'm tempted to enter it now just to see if you're right. :becky: I think it will be a while before I enter a TD, if ever. You guys all make it look easy, but I know it's a lot of work. I was so wiped out after making that pp and fattie, that I've been down for the count, and good for nothing ever since.

I just want to say kudos to those of you who've won once or twice, and yet continue to post amazing entries. Phrasty with one farkin' win? Landarc with two? How the heck is that possible?? :shock: But the numbers don't lie. It's no exaggeration to say I'm in awe.

Gee, Bob... I'm tempted to enter it now just to see if you're right. :becky: I think it will be a while before I enter a TD, if ever. You guys all make it look easy, but I know it's a lot of work. I was so wiped out after making that pp and fattie, that I've been down for the count, and good for nothing ever since.

I just want to say kudos to those of you who've won once or twice, and yet continue to post amazing entries. Phrasty with one farkin' win? Landarc with two? How the heck is that possible?? :shock: But the numbers don't lie. It's no exaggeration to say I'm in awe.
I know, right? And then to think that I have two wins...

How the fark did THAT happen?:der:

But this isn't all about me.:becky:

Well boys, thank you for the quick TD history lesson. I can honestly say I don't think you need to be a professional photographer like CD, or be super "creative" like gore to win a throwdown. Looking back at the throwdowns i've voted on l, I do take things like difficulty, description and originality into account. It's not just about who's picture looks the best although it does naturally factor in. I think maybe i'm just hypersensitive about it since the pics I entered into my first throwdown looked so awful once they were put up next to all of yours. The fact that 3 people voted for my dish speaks to the fact that not everyone factors in the quality of the photo. Thanks again for all the info. In a strange way this conversation has been encouraging. I can't wait to do another throwdown.

sent from my android device using tapatalk

Jason, over in the Photography Tips thread, I showed how I shoot most of my entries. A point and shoot camera, a table, and a window is all you need.

Here is that post...

Okay, here is a super-simple setup that anyone with a half decent camera can use. I used this exact setup to shoot these shots for throwdowns, using my Canon G12 point-and-shoot, in Program mode...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It is this easy. I moved my kitchen table over to my kitchen window. I set the food on the table. I aimed the camera. I took about a dozen pictures at slightly different angles, so I could choose the best on the computer.

No flash. Just natural light from behind the subject. Here is what it looks like when I shoot...

picture.php

CD

It was always my dream to win with eggplant, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. Of course someone I know won three times with eggplant, I think just to rub it in. :doh:

I'd have to say that Zombies also are a hard sell.

I think bigabyte and I have both won with eggplant and SPAM in one dish -- and mine also had cream of mushroom soup in it, too. :bow:

CD

There is a link on the poll (small text) that lets you see the results so far before you have voted.

I wish I could disable it, but there is no option to do so.

I only look to make sure I don't vote for someone who is beating me. :becky:

CD

I know, right? And then to think that I have two wins...

How the fark did THAT happen?:der:

But this isn't all about me.:becky:

Just as a point of reference, your wins came after you got the new camera and your food stopped looking ... so blue. Perhaps this is an argument for better quality photos. Think how many wins you could've had if you'd gotten that $90 camera a couple years back. :rolleyes:

CD,
Thanks for the heads up on the photography thread. I have seen your post there before and I have tried that with good results, although not on any of my TD entries as of yet. The reason being is for some reason it seems as though it's always dark outside at the time I need to take these pics. So, now I've been trying to work on using the manual settings on my point and shoot to get some decent pics with interior lighting. I think once the voting poll for the cook it like a brisket TD comes out I will be a lot more satisfied with my photo. Before now all I did was "point and shoot." I'll head back over to the thread and see if I can wrangle any more useful info. Google may be my friend here since I don't know much about what the manual setting actually are, I just change them around until it looks better. :redface:

Google may be my friend here since I don't know much about what the manual setting actually are, I just change them around until it looks better. :redface:

I would be very interested to hear what you discover. I have the same issues on interior pictures at night... :doh:

Just as a point of reference, your wins came after you got the new camera and your food stopped looking ... so blue. Perhaps this is an argument for better quality photos. Think how many wins you could've had if you'd gotten that $90 camera a couple years back. :rolleyes:
You know what, I think you might be right, it's all about the money and using the best equipment!:becky: I never would have thought I would spend that much money for a picture-taker thingie.:becky:

In the interest of science, of course. :becky:

CD
Actually, especially considering the pics you have cranked out with your point and shoot (as evidenced in that photo help thread), and the fact that you don't bring your best "photo game", I personally am very interested to see what can come out. But then again, I'm a TD Ho.:laugh:

Give it to me BABY!

I would be very interested to hear what you discover. I have the same issues on interior pictures at night... :doh:

I wouldn't mess with manual, unless you are wanting to "bracket your exposures." (Google)

In winter months, when it is often dark when I finish my cooks, I emulate my window set-up with artificial lighting.

Where the window would be, hang a cheap white sheet and shine a light through it.

I'll see if I can rig something up and post in in Photography Tips.

CD

I shoot a lot at night, white balance for light source is key. I do shootbon auto usually. Of course, I am usibg a Canon 40D with a 50mm f1.8 lens, often called a 'food bloggers lens'

Are you an author of a widely respected world famous food blog?

Back