• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

iGrill Question

T

Travnemi

Here is a seriously newbie question!
I purchased a iGrill and it came with two meat probes. Would there be any reason why I couldn't use one of the meat probes as an ambient temp. probe?

I do as well....in fact I sometimes use both of them for the smoker temp. One lower in the drum and one higher.

20120602_122755.jpg

Side note...just realized we are neighbors Larry!

Nice , I pulled the trigger literally 5 minutes ago on two maverick ET732's , and then I learn of this cool gadget. That's my typical luck.

I don't like the Igrill, probes suck (inaccurate) and you have to pull the batteries out to turn it off. It's lightweight cheap plastic and hard to read the temp in the sun. I already contacted them about their crappy probes after one of mine failed after a month of use and was told I could buy a new one.

I don't like the Igrill, probes suck (inaccurate) and you have to pull the batteries out to turn it off. It's lightweight cheap plastic and hard to read the temp in the sun. I already contacted them about their crappy probes after one of mine failed after a month of use and was told I could buy a new one.

I've used mine for almost two years and nothing has failed. Works like a charm each and every time.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far so good on my iGrill, I love the thing. Though I cant get it on my first gen iPad, works great on my iPhone!! I probably an easy fix just need to contact customer service for the iPad.

I just wish it would work on my droid phone, but the iPod and iPad it works fine with. I am glad I grabbed it up.

I'd really love to see some iGrill graphs from some of you who use your iGrill with a DigiQ or some other sort of temp controller. My Nano is allowing temp swings that show up on my iGrill but I'm wondering if this is normal.

I bought 1 and it seemed like the probes crapped out on my 2nd cook... Sent it back & the new one works great!

Do you guys have any problems with the 400 degree max reading? Seems that would be too low for a lot of cooks.

Also, how do you position the probe in the grill without the clip that comes with the ambient probe?

Finally, do you guys close the lid on the cables or run them out through the stack?

Mine works great. One of the probes didnt work out of the box but i called and they replaced it with out a problem.

You don't have to pull the batteries out to turn it off, you simply press the on/off button for a couple of seconds and it turns off.

Do you guys have any problems with the 400 degree max reading? Seems that would be too low for a lot of cooks.

Also, how do you position the probe in the grill without the clip that comes with the ambient probe?

Finally, do you guys close the lid on the cables or run them out through the stack?

At what temps are you cooking? Even with a high temp fast cook I would think 400 plus degrees would be a lot.

You could slide the probe into a half of potato or onion and set on your grate. Even better a fatty and rotate as needed for length of cook :grin:.

Not sure what you are cooking on, but my main two cookers have gaskets so door closing on them is not going to damage them. I would have to think about what I would do on my WSM. Through the vents would cause me to figure out where to put the device. I have melted a few thermometers by putting them on the side of my wsm (magnetic)

Just my thoughts.

At what temps are you cooking? Even with a high temp fast cook I would think 400 plus degrees would be a lot.

You could slide the probe into a half of potato or onion and set on your grate. Even better a fatty and rotate as needed for length of cook :grin:.

Not sure what you are cooking on, but my main two cookers have gaskets so door closing on them is not going to damage them. I would have to think about what I would do on my WSM. Through the vents would cause me to figure out where to put the device. I have melted a few thermometers by putting them on the side of my wsm (magnetic)

Just my thoughts.

I bake pizzas on my Kamado Joe at 500-550 degrees. I also enjoy searing my steaks at about 650-700. While I wouldn't walk away from the grill while actually cooking them at that temp, it would be nice to walk away after lighting the grill and let the iGrill warn me as it passes through 550 on its way up. And though I haven't tried them myself yet, I have read several recipes for baking on the Kamados that use temps above 400.

My Kamado Joe also has gaskets. I just wasn't sure if the weight of the ceramic lid would still pinch the cable enough to cause problems. I guess not.

On a side note, I cooked my first fatty on Sunday. I cooked it using the heat deflector in the upper position, and it never occurred to me to rotate it. Should I have? Either way, it turned out awesome. It is hard to believe it took me this long to make one.

I love mine...works like a champ.

The ONLY knock is that it is difficult to read the temp from the igrill....but I just stopped looking and pulled up my phone.

I bake pizzas on my Kamado Joe at 500-550 degrees. I also enjoy searing my steaks at about 650-700. While I wouldn't walk away from the grill while actually cooking them at that temp, it would be nice to walk away after lighting the grill and let the iGrill warn me as it passes through 550 on its way up. And though I haven't tried them myself yet, I have read several recipes for baking on the Kamados that use temps above 400.QUOTE]

Never thought about using an probe for short cook items such as pizza's. Baking makes sense, but like cast iron cooking I wait until I can start to smell the food and know it is almost done.

I don't mess with moving the fatty around once it is on the cooker. I just let it be until it is done. Have you looked into armadillo eggs yet? Do a search for them.

Never thought about using an probe for short cook items such as pizza's. Baking makes sense, but like cast iron cooking I wait until I can start to smell the food and know it is almost done.

I don't mess with moving the fatty around once it is on the cooker. I just let it be until it is done. Have you looked into armadillo eggs yet? Do a search for them.

The eggs look good. Unfortunately, I am the only one in the house who likes jalapeños. Might have to try a few for myself though :)

Back