water in my uds...........

pigdog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
did my second cook on my uds and after 13 hours cooking I had close to one half inch of water in my barrel. Is this normal? I expected some grease, but, why all the water? It didn't rain and I know my son didn't pour water in the exhaust. Can humidity cause this? I live in the high desert, humidity shouldn't be a problem. I started the cook at 6 am until 7 pm.

Any ideas?

When I do it low-n-slow(less than 250), with a mostly full grate and under 250 I often get the water/drippings. My guess is that some drippings miss the charcoal basket and condensation from all the meat help to add to the puddle? Maybe the fuel? I know that when I cook at higher temps(300+) I do not get the puddle.

What were you cookin'? Was it marinated?
Meat can hold a lot of moisture...
I know when I do ribs...and yes, I spray them with an apple juice/cider concoction but don't go over board, I can tell that there is a build up of moisture in my UDS...not large qty...but it is quite noticable.

1/2" of water in the bottom of a 55 gal. drum is a lot of water! When cooking large quantities of butts in my drums, 40-60 lbs., I use a water pan and I've never had water in the bottom of the drum after the cook. Is the meat you are cooking injected with a 30% or greater water solution?

1/2" of water in the bottom of a 55 gal. drum is a lot of water! When cooking large quantities of butts in my drums, 40-60 lbs., I use a water pan and I've never had water in the bottom of the drum after the cook. Is the meat you are cooking injected with a 30% or greater water solution?

That's what I'm wondering too.

Grrr...I hate that water injection. Tiny, tiny print on the tag: "Contains water and flavorings." Wait, man! I am buying meat, not "water and flavorings." Plus, they do not have to reveal what the "flavorings" are. Grrrr...that's why we buy no meat from Wally World.

Ah, I feel much better now! :becky:

If you use a water pan, you probably will not get as much moisture in the barrel cuz it will catch a lot of it and vaporize it. Are you closing things off afterward for cool down? That will trap water in the barrel, I have found. But a half inch, I would say that has to be coming from your meat. Check the labels when you buy; bring a magnifying glass to read 'em. Grrrr.

Grrr...I hate that water injection. Tiny, tiny print on the tag: "Contains water and flavorings." Wait, man! I am buying meat, not "water and flavorings." Plus, they do not have to reveal what the "flavorings" are. Grrrr...that's why we buy no meat from Wally World.

Ah, I feel much better now! :becky:

If you use a water pan, you probably will not get as much moisture in the barrel cuz it will catch a lot of it and vaporize it. Are you closing things off afterward for cool down? That will trap water in the barrel, I have found. But a half inch, I would say that has to be coming from your meat. Check the labels when you buy; bring a magnifying glass to read 'em. Grrrr.

I agree. 1/2" of water is a lot. I have never seen that much in my UDS.

thanks for you're responses

cooked 4 butts on top rack. All were close to 6 lbs each . I didn't know about the injection(pre) at stores. I'll start looking for that. I did shut the drum down completely after the cook. I'll try using a water pan in the future. If I cooked on the bottom rack how or where would you place a water pan? Directly on top of the fire box? Clueless mode on here!

Come to think of it, maybe it was some humidity as well. Never seen the eastern and southern part of the state look so green from rain.

I put in 3 more bolts in the drum 6" or so above the top of my fire basket, used a cheap Wally World 22.5 grate, and put a foil roaster pan on it for the water pan. Cheap and disposable. It leaves the upper two grates for cooking.

Relative humidity here in the South stays at 75-90%, and I have never had 1/2" of water in my drum.

when it's cold or humid I get water in the bottom of my UDS's, its condensation

Back