See, now here goes Sako again. He’s got something I wasn’t even sure what it was in that first pic; carves it up all pretty; drowns it in some kind of magical solution. You know it’s going to turn into something fit for a magazine cover.
And here I am still burning hot dogs and burning my fingers on skewers. Sheesh.

See, now here goes Sako again. He’s got something I wasn’t even sure what it was in that first pic; carves it up all pretty; drowns it in some kind of magical solution. You know it’s going to turn into something fit for a magazine cover.
And here I am still burning hot dogs and burning my fingers on skewers. Sheesh.

Lol, that made me chuckle Kanco. Not sure about magazine worthy but thanks for the kind words. :thumb: FWIW just 5 years ago I was burning my fingers as well. Didn't do much but just grill then bought a kamado, found this magical site and it all took off from there.

Thanks for the response, Sako. I have the griddle so I'd just be tossing it on the flat top. I did smashburgers on it using the Carne Crosta rub on the burgers, which was amazing. Looking to do some on a steak but I don't have a proper high-heat grill so was thinking about smoking and then searing it on the BS 36.

Thanks for the response, Sako. I have the griddle so I'd just be tossing it on the flat top. I did smashburgers on it using the Carne Crosta rub on the burgers, which was amazing. Looking to do some on a steak but I don't have a proper high-heat grill so was thinking about smoking and then searing it on the BS 36.

:thumb:

Believe me when I say you don't need a high heat grill when you've got the BS griddle. Crank her up and sear the steak to finish. The crust is to die for. Only reason I prefer the BS oven is that it reaches temp upward for 1000* for an insane crust.

I made this tri-tip pastrami this passed weekend. I started the brine about 10 days ago and planned to cook it today but needed the room in the refrigerator so I did it on Sunday.

I basically followed this for the cure https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ey-pastrami-from-scratch-q-view-mania.120603/

Then a simple rub with brown sugar, garlic, pepper, coriander, salt (very little), onion powder and mustard powder.

Smoked to 160.

I also smoked two big yellow onions which I then sliced and sauteed.
fb4ae3dc31b62f0bf0352caca0cd919d.jpg
e86b361744fa71a7c5b171121bcfc0da.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Kanco and Sako. The hardest part was waiting, slicing thin with a recovering broken arm, and not wanting to eat it all. My son, who is a tritip crack addict, was not that much of a fan...maybe because he wanted my traditional tritip. However, the wife and daughter (who is not usually a big fan) loved it and want me to make it again soon...once again, the problem is the wait for the brine/cure.

I love this thread! :clap2:

Hell yes! :thumb:

I am in an extremely good mood tonite as it's the first time I've used the PBC in several weeks!

(and I just bookmarked a link for tri-tip pastrami! :-D )

A 10-day road trip over Xmas followed by a week of "everyone in the house is sick" put a dent in my cooking sched.

But it's a lovely 75* day, I feel better, I got in a harley ride today with my 12-yr-old daughter, and I'm enjoying an adult beverage or eight as I'm hanging a turkey breast in the PBC (pics to come later depending on outcome :wacko:)

But a coupla 'hardware upgrade' photos: I bought (off amazon) some gasket tape to try to better seal my rotisserie ring attachment. The more relevant part for all you non-roti-ers is that I used the leftover tape in the lid groove.

It stopped all the (admittedly minor) leakage from the lid, and upgraded the usual "klang" when replacing the lid to a nice satisfying muted "thwump".

Attachments

• gasketPackaging.jpg
    gasketPackaging.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 152
  • gasketRoti.jpg
    gasketRoti.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 156
  • gasketLid.jpg
    gasketLid.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 151
Aww, dammit! Screwed it up.... NOT! :p

More evidence that the PBC is pretty much drunk-proof: This had to be THE BEST turkey I've ever had -- juicy as all get-out and crisp edible skin! And all I did was unwrap it and put Yardbird rub over and under the skin.

Temps between 250-350 as I was messing with the lid to get crispy skin.

Pron:

Attachments

• turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 193
  • turkey3.jpg
    turkey3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 193
  • turkey4.jpg
    turkey4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 194
  • turkey5.jpg
    turkey5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 193
  • turkey6.jpg
    turkey6.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 196
Possibly....all sorts of uses. Kids like it on tostadas or chips with melted cheese like BBQ nachos. We intended to eat it on Hawaiian rolls like little sliders. Also have a kid that likes it over a baked potato.

Trust me...it won't go to waste.

Took way longer than I expected. Almost 6 hours total. That included 2.5 hours on the PBC and almost 4 in the oven at 375-400. Missed dinner time. We ended up eating leftovers and this will be for tomorrow. Ugh. Hate when that happens. But it's done when it's done.

Looks fantastic though StlS. That color is enough to get me drooling.

Worried about that myself with a brisket going on tomorrow. Hoping total time from meat in barrel to dinner of 12 hours will give me some wiggle room while allowing for a good rest.

I've told my family it's an estimated dinner time, but they are a ravenous bunch. :p

Back