WSM arrives today.... maiden voyage tomorrow

Tasted great, even cold with some Rudys sause this morning.

It was just a little moist yet in the middle. I think it could have gained a few more degrees (or wonder how accurate my thermometer was) - Im no expert but I thought the pork should be a little dryer all the way through. Was kind of hard to disect in the center. Plenty done, just not what I was shooting for.

I had some issues with ash build up at the end which really was hurting my temps.

Definatly going to try a smaller butt next weekend, so I can monitor it during the day. I wonder if the temps were really stoking through the night while I was sleeping using up all the charcoal so fast. I must have went through 15lbs or so, which isnt too bad.

Definatly will cook on the upper grate as well. I thought I would have the ABTs going the same time but I put them on while I was resting the pork so it wasnt needed.

thanks guys...was a good time and wife was pretty excited.

- now what to do with all the pork, buddy ate some ABTs but had dinner plans so he didnt try the pork. So I have tons left over. Im sure the guys at work will love it.

One little trick not mentioned before Kevin, but if you get a bone in butt, when it's done you'll be able to pull the bone out with no issue, and no meat stuck to it.
Also, if you have a temp probe in it, keep it away from the bone.

Food savers are you buddies, too.

Edit: And some lump charcoal will help your ash build up problem bigtime.

One little trick not mentioned before Kevin, but if you get a bone in butt, when it's done you'll be able to pull the bone out with no issue, and no meat stuck to it.

That some good looking butt! :eek:

I cook mine until it gets to about 195º and then pull off the smoker. When I'm ready to pull it, I just open the foil and remove the blade bone and mix up in the juices that are still in the foil. You will need some temperature resistant gloves for this, but they are worth the money. The pork will be very juicy. You will know when the butt is done when the blade bone wiggles a little and begins to push out of the butt.

I usually cook on the top rack, but when you are making ABT's or other appetizers, it's easier to cook on the butt on the lower rack and the rest on the top rack.

To make cleanup a little easier, buy some of the wide aluminum foil and wrap the water pan. I've been cooking with the original water pan for a few years, cleaning it out each time and now with the foil, I just let the water evaporate and then throw away the foil.

Enjoy your new toy. I love my WSM. :-D

Back