Where should I put my probe?

pinghacker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a UDS with a measly 3" thermo sticking in from the side. I'd like to put my digital thermo probe in the center somewhere to get an idea of what the weather is like there. I am assuming that I shouldn't lay my probe on the grate. any suggestions?

Stick it through a small potato and lay it on the grate. I couldn't find an image on google, but did find this image of a probe stuck through a cork, pretty much the same concept.
brisket091.jpg

I stick my probe withh the point going through just one side of a small chunk of a paper towel tube. That way no meat or juice touch the part that measures the temp.

Big Mike

The title of this thread had Woodpile written all over it.

Yes, this is true!

Be careful where you stick your probe! Somewhere around the meat is best...you want good temps while you're cooking.

Thanks all, this should help out greatly. I will report back the temp difference I find.

I've used a small, golf ball sized, potato cut in half and spaced on the probe so that only the potato rests on the grate. I have also used small pieces of corn cobb or even an onion. Right now I've been using the same potato for about the last 10 cooks.

Back